Hdd not detected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

magicuk

hi, I have a pavilion G6 HP laptop. it works fine . I want to give it to my wife so I bought a new 500 GB SATA HDD. fitted it but for some obscure raison it is not detected. I pressed f10 to get in the CMOS , I cant see where the hard drive is. in the main section of the CMOS the only thing I am able to change is the date and the time
.and diagnose memory and HDD. unfortunately there is no HDD there. I looked for SATA configuration , nothing. so I put the original HDD back in the lap top and it works fine. I then connected my external SATA driver reader, it recognises the new drive. so I reopened the laptop and swapped the old drive for the new one , still not detected. I tried installing window and after loading some of the software it stops and a blue screen comes on saying that there is no HDD in the machine. I'm lost. any idea why this happens ?
thank you

Oddba11

Jim
Same brand, size, and type as the original? Is it being connected properly?

Triple6

Rob
Which exact G6? There should be an exact model on the top or the bottom or in the BIOS. Should be something such as G6-1234us

magicuk

hi thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.
this is what i have in the Bios , main,
InsydeH20 setup utility rev. 3.5

notebook model HP Pavillion g6 Notebook PC
processor type intel(r) pentium (r) cpu b960 @ 2.20 ghz
total memory 6 gb
bios version F. 63
bios vendor insyde
factory intalled os win 7

security

administrator password
power on password

diagnostic

primary hard disk self test
memory test

sytem configuration

fan always on
action key mode
boot options

exit

exit saving changes
exit discarding changes
load setup defaults

the new hdd i'm trying to fit is a samsung model HN-M500MBB
HDD P/N HN-M500MBB/SCC
LBA 976,773,168 500.00GB

The original Hdd is
hitachi
hdd: 5k750-750
hts547575a9e384
type ts5 sad750
sata 3.0gb/s
5v 700ma dc
c p/n:h2t750854s 5400rpm
thats all the info i have i hope that helps

Triple6

Rob
Unfortunately non of that info has the full G6-xxxxyy model number.

magicuk

in the system information all it says in model is HP Pavilion g6 notebookpc

magicuk

I found the model number hidden under the battery its g6 1374ea hope that helps thank you

Triple6

Rob
Hmm, I was hoping to find a known issue or a BIOS update for the model that addresses such an issue but don't see anything in regards to that.

Where did you buy the new drive? Is it easily exchangeable for another brand or model?

magicuk

on the new drive there is a second model number
its NP-S3511-A01DX DON'T KNOW IF THAT HELPS

magicuk

hi me again i contacted the seller and this is what he sent me
All drives are fully blank, they will need to be formatted and partitioned for whatever you are using them for.

All drives are standard speed for that size - usually 5,400RPM
All drives are standard speed for that size:

Type Typical Speeds
Laptop 5,400RPM 4,200RPM
Desktop 7,200RPM 5,400RPM
now to partition the drive i need to use my xp serpk 3 disk but it does not find anydrive to partition??? does that make a difrence?

Triple6

Rob
You can only partition and format a drive ONCE it's detected by the system, if the BIOS is not detecting the drive than you cannot partition or format it, that's a hardware/BIOS/firmware/compatibility issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online