1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD not found in AHCI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nicholasp7, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nicholasp7

nicholasp7 Thread Starter

OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Segate 7200RPM 1TB HDD

OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge ...

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible ...

I have a 1TB drive that was used as an external from an old pc that's still sata... It's in IDE and my ssd is in AHCI so it doesn't see that i have a TB drive installed in BIOS either.... Help PLZ!!!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am really not understanding your post. This makes no sense
    Do you mean the sata controller is set to ide or legacy mode or what?

Next your board has two different types of sata ports; gray and blue. The gray are sata3 type ports and the blue are sata2 type ports. Exactly what drives do you have connected to what ports and how are those ports configured; ie ahci, raid, legacy, what?

Most new asus boards have the option to enable or disable sata ports individually. Are you sure whatever ports you are connected to are in fact enabled in the bios?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I read it that your 1Tb is an IDE drive . Is that correct? If not please explain exactly why you mentioned IDE as that has confused me - and others like crjdriver.

And check that any IDE controller in the BIOS is enabled, of course.

4. nicholasp7

CRJ, all my sata ports are turned on.... Ok the blue I have 2 of those and my ssd is in 1 and my front 3.0 ports are in the other. Grey i have 1 for dvd drive and the other is my tb drive. I have the board set to AHCI now and the ssd is much faster... I first installed windows 7 on the pc i had both drives showing up and board was in ide.... Read up about AHCI switched it over and reinstalled windows 7 and since that I haven't been able to see my TB drive at all....

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    According the motherboard specs these are ports you have:

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

SATA 3.0 = SATA 6Gb/s
    SATA 2.0 = SATA 3Gb/s

So if that's the case your setup is not optimal. You should have SSD connected to the fastest ports for best performance, that means one of the two gray ones which run at 6Gb/s port to match the 6Gb/s interface of your SSD otherwise you are severely limited it's performance on a blue 3GB/s port. It's also the Intel controller which is generally pretty fast and stable compared to many others.

The front SATA 6Gb/s should also be in a gray port or the navy blue port as those are also SATA 6Gb/s ports.

Your DVD should be connected to one of the 3Gb/s blue since it doesn't benefit from 6Gb/s.

After moving the SSD you should try connecting the HDD to either the navy blue or the blue port and see if it gets detected. The mechanical hard drive won't really benefit from SATA 6Gb/s anyway.

You can probably set each set of SATA ports to ACHI, RAID, or Legacy/IDE mode. ACHI or RAID will provide the best performance and feature and is required for best performance for SSD's and for hot swapping if you intended to use those front SATA ports, mechanical drives can benefit slightly as well when NCQ and the such is used.

The Navy blue ports will not likely give as much performance as the gray ports, Intel controllers tend to be more stable as well then add-in controllers on many boards.

6. nicholasp7

idk where you found those specs at I only have 6 sata ports... Grey and blue....

7. nicholasp7

I also just put the hdd in my external case and it found it in usb.... But when I try to format it it fails....

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh opps, those are for the ASUS P8Z77-V not the ASUS P8Z77-V LK version.

Pretty much the same still holds true though just no Navy blue ports for the additional 6Gb/s ports.

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue

The 2 Gray ports are the fastest and the SSD should still be connected to them otherwise you cut your SSD performance in half using the 3Gb/s ports.

If you cannot format the drive it may have coincidentally failed. I assume you have nothing of importance on it if you tried to format it? If so you can test it can test it with the manufacturer's diagnostics, what brand is it again?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Connect the ssd to one of the gray ports ideally the first one. Connect your mech hard drive to one of the blue ports and your dvd drive to another one of the blue ports. Restart and make sure your ssd is set as the boot drive in the bios AND that all of your drives are detected. If your mech drive is not detected in the bios and you are sure the port is enabled and both the data cable and pw connections are good, the drive has most likely failed.

10. nicholasp7

WD and I have a program that I DL on net trying to use it to format the drive.... I have SSD in grey.

11. nicholasp7

I have the computer in AHCI and running from SSD now and I have a program called AOMEI that found the drive while it's in the external USB case and it's in the process of wiping the drive now... Will be a while and i have it set to reformat the drive once it's done clearing it out... Just hope it doesn't fail now, waiting game... I greatly appreciate all the help I have recieved so far!!! Hope this works and hope it will be detected once i put it back in the PC in sata port again.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Never heard of that program. I'd use the WDC Lifeguard Diagnostics to test and then Write Zeros to the drive; that would be a true erase of the drive after which you can use Disk Management to create a new partition and format the drive in a matter of seconds.

13. nicholasp7

what program would you use to truely erase a program from your pc.... I know macs you use the given uninstaller and it completely wipes the programs. Windows leaves stuff in the reg and all kinds of stuff behind usually...

14. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

RevoUninstaller is one of the better ones - but even that leaves some folders and registry entries behind.
    They all will as it no automatic tool can definitely say entries are not used by some other process that you might need.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Revo Uninstaller will do a good job, however I've personally never required a program to be vanished completely beyond what the normal uninstaller does, and any many programs do uninstall completely or pretty darn close. Any left overs are generally harmless, not always of course but I'm also careful with what I install. The problem with Windows apps is there are are millions of people coding programs for it and anyway can do it, with Macs it's a much smaller world and much more controlled by Apple.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice