1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD not picking up in Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grrimm, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grrimm

Grrimm Thread Starter

Hi, I'm busy trying to repair someones hdd, it appears that the OS was corrupt so I hooked it up as an external to my laptop.
    Its not picking up in my windows, it does however show in disk management but am unable to initialize disk, it gives a data error (cyclic redundancy check)

upload_2017-10-5_21-50-39.png

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

A CRC error indicates that the drive has failed (period). You need to get a like sized drive and sector clone the failing one to it in order to get away from the bad hardware.

3. Grrimm

Grrimm Thread Starter

How do I do that?

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Its way easier and much faster using a desktop with the failing drive and the target attached using SATA ports to the second and third ports. You can then boot the PC's original drive and use any decent cloning utility to perform a physical copy of one drive to the other.
    Rawcopy works fine (again, choosing the physical devices) even though it doesn't give you much of a report when its done.
    http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=22
    Afterwards, if the copy was mostly successful, run CHKDSK on the copy (NOT CHKDSK /R, ever!).

5. Grrimm

Grrimm Thread Starter

The drive says no volume, and unknown. Also the drive does not show in windows so I won't be able to run a chkdsk as it has no drive letter assigned, cannot assign drive letter, because no volume.

6. Grrimm

Grrimm Thread Starter

I tried downloading that software but gave an error, think its only for windows 98/Me/XP

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Grrimm,
    You may find that things behave entirely differently once you have cloned (photocopied) the failing drive to one which is not failing.
    Did you notice that I have been doing this for 41 years and that includes over 10,000 data recoveries?

8. Grrimm

Grrimm Thread Starter

upload_2017-10-6_0-27-11.png

This is the error I got when trying to install the RawCopy software

9. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Its also available as a standalone executable; but, its telling you to right click on the installer and choose Run as Administrator so it can install.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice