1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD not recognized, new bios upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rily8, Jul 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rily8

Rily8 Thread Starter

Hello All You Brilliant Brainiacs. My son is a budding brainiac and he's driving me bananas with his half knowledge. He installed a 40g hard drive into our computer and it refuses to recognize it. I can't do much on the computer since it keeps telling me it's low on disk space. Even simple printing is asking it too much.
    So after reading on the forums a bit I realized perhaps we need a bios upgrade. My computer is a Pentium II.
    We have no sound now, and for 3 days the colors were all goofy. We're fixing one problem at a time, but I'm wondering about what I need to do to get the pc to recognize the HDD we just installed. THank you!!!!!!!!!

Rily8

2. brianF

brianF

With an older motherboard it's quite possible you need to use the hard drive manufacturer's installation utility to provide a bios overlay.

What brand drive
    Are you sure you have it jumpered correctly, cabled correctly, red to pin 1. And the ide channel set ot auto detect or manually detect the drive??????

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, if your BIOS date is before about 8/99, you probably do indeed need a BIOS update. While you can access the drive using the maker's drive overlay program, I STRONGLY recommend the BIOS upgrade if one is available. You'll be happy down the road if you move the disk to another machine, or even reconfigure the machine it's in.

4. jonhiker

jonhiker

You probably need that BIOS upgrade.
    ALos, check the jumoer settings on both drives for master/slave, make sure the vcable is in correctly. That includes red stripe to power supply and cable position.
    Be sure to go into the BIOS and either manully set the heads/cylinders, etc, or better yet, do an auto detect.

5. Rily8

Rily8 Thread Starter

Well that sounds pretty consistent in the advice. I will check the cable thingies (official technical terms) with budding braniac, and will see about the bios upgrade. Seems it's not very expensive any how. Thank you! Will let you know.

R8

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/145181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice