1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD on remove safely list

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drifter13, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

Hi, back again with a new xp install, but i have an old problem now I can't remember to resolve. It's a small thing actually, but my Maxtor HDD is being listed as a removable it, like a USB device or something. It's in the little system icon tray that usually pops up for USB devices, and I'm worried about aciddently hitting remove.

A while back I found a quick and easy registry fix that solved this problem, does anyone know where i might find this?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let me guess, you have a nVidia based motherboard and SATA disk, right?

This is normal for some driver versions. See if there's an upgraded chipset driver for your nVidia chipset.

3. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

Yeah, that's pretty much my situation, but driver updates don't seem to fix it. Last time i did a one line reg edit I found on the net and it worked perfect, but I don't remeber what it was or where i found it.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I never did find a registry edit to remove it. I have Vista on that machine now, and it doesn't think the SATA drive is removable, so I stopped looking for a solution. :)

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  6. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!