HDD/optical drive bootup issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

iamme123

I just switched to a new power supply (600W) and video card (Radeon 6870), and my system won't boot. When there isn't a disc in my optical drive it says "NTLDR is missing. Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." When I have my windows disc in it tells me to insert my system disc and hit enter. Hitting enter does not work. The optical drive never spins.

I have 2 HDD, 1 SATA and 1 IDE. The SATA is the slave, and the BIOS recognizes it. The IDE is the master, and it shares its IDE cord with the optical drive.

-The BIOS never recognizes the IDE master HDD.
-When the power is unplugged from the IDE master HDD, the optical drive works and I can boot the Windows disc.

Any help will be much appreciated.

dustyjay

Jay
Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

Does your motherboard have a second IDE Channel or just the one?

iamme123

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
CPU: Core2Duo E8500
Optical: ND-3520A
IDE master HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKB
SATA slave HDD: 500 GB Seagate [unknown model]
PSU: Corsair CX600 (600W)

I'm not sure if there's a second IDE channel.

dustyjay

Jay
your motherboard indeed has 2 IDE channels. Try connecting the HDD to IDE1 as master and the optical drive to IDE2 as master. See if that helps.

Something doesn't seem right here. When you replaced the power supply did you also disconnect the IDE ribbons?

Ideally if you are sharing an optical drive and a HDD drive on the same cable, and if the system is recent, you should have both jumpers (optical and HDD) set to 'Cable Select'. If the system is aged you want the HDD set to master with the Optical drive set to slave. SATA this doesn't matter.

Once that has been verified you'll want to go into the BIOS and make sure all of your drives are showing up. Look in storage options and set the IDE HDD as the first boot device and then CDROM second.

One thing you might also try is disconnecting the optical drive and the SATA HDD. See if it boots. The following link might be helpful to you as well: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online