1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD past warranty so what can we try now before going to seagate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikequest3, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikequest3

mikequest3 Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a 160 GB Seagate Ultra ATA Barracuda 7200 hard drive.
    I use it only to backup my data from the PC. I attach it to the PC when I need to backup & when done, I disconnect the IDE & power cables.
    Around 8-9 months ago my PC started freezing only while using the hdd. I suspect the hdd & backed up all the data to my brother's laptop temporarily. But the hdd has gone past the warranty period & after searching on the net I read abt Seatools for DOS. But I am unable to find a copy of the tool and require a walkthrough (of sorts) to run it.
    I am aware that Seatools will not fix a failing hdd but only give me info of whats wrong with it.
    So if someone can guide me further or tell me what all I can do to fix this (before taking it to seagate for repairs), it will be very helpful & nice.
    Mike

PS
    The hdd does not seem to have a mechanical failures like excessive vibration or noise, etc. I chkd the connectors of the hdd & the cables, they are okay. It did give "cannot copy" error while backing up the data but after "chkdsk r" it copied the files without errors & it also showed some space used by bad sectors or clusters.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't believe Seagate repairs drives as a service. In fact aside for data recovery services(which can range into thousands of dollars in some cases) no one fixes hard drives nor can some problems be fixed and even if they could the cost would exceed the cost of a new drive quite significantly - some repairs would require a clean room and parts replacement on top of employee labor.

Seatools is available on the Seagate website(first hit on Google search): http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Seatools can in fact mark off bad sectors and make it so the operating system will never attempt to use them again, however that doesn't mean more will not develop or the drive won't fail differently.

And if the drive fails the test completely then it simply needs to be thrown out and replaced with a new drive.

Additional since hard drive commonly fail you should never be without a backup.

3. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I'm just writing to confirm that more than a few bad sectors commonly increase in numbers and the drive should not be relied upon.

Also consider that if you value your data then 2 or more backups is a wise strategy.

4. mikequest3

mikequest3 Thread Starter

Hi Triple6 (Rob),

Thank you for your reply; i understand & will chk the status of the hdd with the utility & act accordingly.
    I have to ask you 1 more question though. I require to backup data (not more than 30mb or so) to an external source 2-3 times a week & cd's or dvd's are not an option, hence the hdd. So a hdd (brand/model/features) that works best for this, could you kindly suggest as you are an advanced user.
    M

Hi foxidrive,

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
    M

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Any USB drive should work, I would see what's on sale and pick up one. I've given up on long ago on trying to find a 'most" reliable brand, they all work, they'll all fail. With hard drives there's only a few manufacturer's left and they are all as good as the next one. For enclosures, it doesn't seem to matter. If you were using one constantly, which is not what I'd recommend for a backup, then a larger one with a 3.5" desktop drive, with it's own power adapter, a metallic case to assist in heat dissipation and a fan for cooling would be preferred choice. For a simple backup drive, any 2.5" laptop based drive seems to be as good as the next.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice