1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD problem. Need some answers.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ingeborgdot, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

My friends computer just went. Nothing on the screen, won't boot etc. I have checked memory, vid card, etc. I know it must be the hdd because I put one of my hdd in and it started to boot. Different drivers so some things would not work but that showed the vid card worked along with everything else except the hdd. My problem is the hdd works when I attach it to my computer. I can see all the folders etc. I tried to clone and see if that would work but when I put it into their computer it would not boot. When I did a clone one screen came up and said it could not read some sector. What can I do now that the old hdd is cloned? I did keep all info on the old hdd also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

so do you have the specs for this gear, i'm guessing that at the bottem is your pc

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can do a CHKDSK on the new drive that you cloned his original drive too.

See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
    Follow the "Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer" with the option to repair any errors.

Then try to boot the new drive again.

If that fails you ca either a Repair install of Windows from the CD or a full format and reinstall of Windows and then restore his data.

4. ingeborgdot

Ok, now another problem. Since the MBR is bad how can I get their key? She lost the install disk and papers that she needed.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If she lost it then she needs to buy a new copy.

Or use the tools on the Windows XP CD or Recovery Console to fix the MBR if thats the problem.

6. ingeborgdot

I just used an old cd key I had laying around.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice