1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD problem? Please help me!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gerrards, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gerrards

gerrards Thread Starter

I have problem with WinXP for a long time now.
    I tried Win7 meanwhile but still BSODs.

It is a fresh installed XP and still blue screen, I suspect hardware, but which item?
    I changed hard disk, LAN card, picked out sound card, tested 2 RAM with memtest, but still no solution.
    I think about VGA, power supply (or maybe mainboard? - I hope not). But it would be good to know which one to change.
    I know it is not a new PC, but still it should work though.

EP-8KHAL+ mainboard
    Award BIOS 6.00pg
    AMD 2000+ CPU
    Nvidia Geforce MMX 440 VGA
    2x512 Kingmax DDR RAM (tested, they are not old)
    HD: Quantum 20 GB (before it was Samsung 40 GB)
    LAN changed to a new one TP-LINK.
    Power supply is not a good brand (so they say...)

I attach some of the last BSODs.
    Thanks for any reply in advance.

Attached Files:

2. ETech7

ETech7

Try trading that for Raspberry Pi.

Memory dumps point to different possible causes of your problems: faulting memory (even though you tested it), incompatible divers and software issues. Your system doesn't look like fresh install either.

One of the ways would be installing legitimate clean copy of Windows along with the latest compatible drivers for your hardware and starting from there. Don't install any additional software. If it bluescreens again, then will have to analyze new dumps.

3. gerrards

gerrards Thread Starter

Thanks for the advices.
    I have a few questions in my mind (just to find out if a hardware or software failure).

Not legitimate OEM WinXP could cause continuous BSOD like this? XP support is on until next year - if it matters.
    Can it be the PC configuration itself which is quite old for new drivers, browsers etc.?
    Could it be BIOS (it is from 2002 and found no updates because mainboard is no more supported)?
    Could it be a single driver? Earlier I had 20-25 outdated drivers and no restart and last time they were only 4-5 and bsod. I tried 3 drivers for the VGA but no success.

Most of the time I got blue screen after switch on or later during use of browsers. (Explorer crashes and restarts, firefox the same, opera freezing...)

Thanks

4. gerrards

gerrards Thread Starter

In addition:
    it is flash player that often crashes during browsing. Could it be a sign of VGA failure?

/The system was installed 23rd Jan so it is new for me :)/

5. ETech7

ETech7

In terms of "system freshness" I was referring to third party software you have installed.

Windows doesn't have to be OEM, retail should be fine, but I'd highly recommend original Microsoft version. If by PC configuration itself you mean hardware, I don't think that should be an issue. Just check with manufacturer which are recommended for your OS. You can also install OS, but not update it just yet, get necessary drivers, see what happens and act accordingly. If system POSTs, it is probably not BIOS, but I may be wrong on that. As far as I understood from your dumps, they point to different issues, so no, I don't think one driver will fix it all. Do you have on-board graphics? Try using just that.

6. gerrards

gerrards Thread Starter

OK, I understand freshness.

The problem is that Epox is closed and moved to Supox which is only in Chinese.
    I found some old drivers but I don't think they could help:
    http://driverscollection.com/?H=EP-8KHAL+&By=EPoX

I have XP SP2 and without SP3: Win Update and some things not working. (SP3 or something with that could be the issue?)

I don't have onboard graphics, just AGP slot Geforce. (PCI sound card already removed. At very first I thought that was the problem.)

7. ETech7

ETech7

Never a good sign when windows update is not working.

So I would recommend backing up and starting from scratch - as a 2nd choice. As 1st choice - getting a new PC, if that is your main machine we are talking about.

8. gerrards

gerrards Thread Starter

You can also install OS, but not update it just yet, get necessary drivers, see what happens and act accordingly.

I was just answering to this that I have XP SP2, and when installed clean (no additional things), WinUpdate didn't work - without SP3! Now I can update - of course - with SP3. Maybe I was not clear enough.
    But I heard that - in some case (not with me!) - SP3 can cause problems.

Yes, unfortunately that is my main PC.

By the way, which are those 3rd party software I installed? I can check which I installed at the beginnings, because I get BSOD since the 2nd day after install XP.

9. ETech7

ETech7

Things like comodo and total commander...

10. gerrards

gerrards Thread Starter

Comodo surely isn't the culprit, because I tried Avast and Microsoft Security and no change.
    That is why I suspect hardware.

11. ETech7

ETech7

Your dumps were pointing to different suspects, comodo and total commander were among them.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice