1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trevorma91, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trevorma91

trevorma91 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I built my desktop a couple of years ago and I've run into various problems along the way, but this one is pretty hard for me to pinpoint. Occasionally, out of nowhere, my computer starts to skip and gradually falls into a frozen state, forcing me to hard reboot. I notice it first from the mouse, then sound, then it takes forever to close a window. I've done some googling and most people think that it is either a hard drive or ram issue. I tested my hard drive in dos mode with SeaTools( Seagate drive) and also did a memtest. The memtest said the ram was fine but the hard drive test failed without giving a fail code, it just notified me that the test could no be completed. Before I order a new harddrive and back up all my data, I was wondering if anyone thinks this could be a different problem such as bios or cpu. I noticed the thread about swapping mobos and not doing a fresh install of windows, which I have done in the past. It makes me wonder if that would cause this problem that I'm having.

Thanks

2. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

If it fails the manufacturers Drive Test (Seatools) I would say it is time to back up what you can on the drive and replace it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!