1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hdd problem!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tapan83, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tapan83

tapan83 Thread Starter

i have a western digital 6,4 gb,5 years old.i believe that it has some bad clusters on its surface.i managed to erase its partition table,so as to format it.i tried to format it,but i couldn't.it makes some horrible sound from time to time!!!i'm looking for a program that can recognize bad clusters,so as to avoid examining them,whenever a format is made!i don't know if i can find such a program!pls help me!!!thanxs!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you don't have any data on this drive, do yourself a favor and trash it! You aren't going to save it! :rolleyes:

3. raybro

raybro

4. JohnWill

Since it's a WD drive, shouldn't he get the WD diagnostic? :D

5. raybro

raybro

At first blush one would think so, but I've tried both and in my opinion the Maxtor is the better of the two. It's pretty much a generic utility anyway. Like most things of this sort, everyone goes with their own experince.

I have one Maxtor drive and one WD drive. I've used both diagnostic utilites on both drives and gotten essentially the same result (no problems found). I just find the Maxtor utlity to be easier to use and interpret. :cool:

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ditto here, you can't beat the Maxtor, I set all my hard drives up with it. I've never tried the diagnostics on a WD drive though, must give that a shot ;)

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I found the Fujistu Diag's to be the worst - it'll pass drives that stop during the test and drives that make sort of noises. I too generally use Maxtor's Diag's to test any make of drive.

8. darkjedi

darkjedi

try spinrite 5 http://grc.com/spinrite.htm this program is supposed to fix any hardrive problems .I have read great reviews about .

9. JohnWill

For the price of Spinrite, he can have a new hard disk! $90 gets you a 120gig drive easily if you shop for rebates, this is a no-brainer! Also I hasten to add, even if Spinrite is the the greatest disk diagnostic around, it can't fix a truly broken drive. :rolleyes:

I'm giving away computers with 8gig drives in them, why in the world would you spend money to fix a 6.4gig drive that has no data you need? :confused:

10. Brockman

Brockman

Ill take one!!

11. rmay635703

rmay635703

be carefull what you say, I would definately take a free 8giger if I could get one :)

Cheers

12. JohnWill

I just gave two computers to a local church, P233 & AMD-400, both had two small disks. I buy 80gig disks for $40 on rebate deals, the last thing I need to do is try to save a questionable tiny disk! :D The smallest disk in any system here right now is 60gig, this machine has a 200gig and a 160gig.

13. Brockman

Brockman

Its always good to give to the church.

14. JohnWill

You never know, I'm getting older, I may need their services one of these days... :) Oh wait, maybe I should be giving to the old folks home! :D

15. Brockman

Brockman

Its definetly a good tax deduction, you can get a 500.00 credit for each one from the church.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice