hdd problem!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tapan83

i have a western digital 6,4 gb,5 years old.i believe that it has some bad clusters on its surface.i managed to erase its partition table,so as to format it.i tried to format it,but i couldn't.it makes some horrible sound from time to time!!!i'm looking for a program that can recognize bad clusters,so as to avoid examining them,whenever a format is made!i don't know if i can find such a program!pls help me!!!thanxs!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you don't have any data on this drive, do yourself a favor and trash it! You aren't going to save it! :rolleyes:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since it's a WD drive, shouldn't he get the WD diagnostic? :D

At first blush one would think so, but I've tried both and in my opinion the Maxtor is the better of the two. It's pretty much a generic utility anyway. Like most things of this sort, everyone goes with their own experince.

I have one Maxtor drive and one WD drive. I've used both diagnostic utilites on both drives and gotten essentially the same result (no problems found). I just find the Maxtor utlity to be easier to use and interpret. :cool:

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ditto here, you can't beat the Maxtor, I set all my hard drives up with it. I've never tried the diagnostics on a WD drive though, must give that a shot ;)

Triple6

Rob
I found the Fujistu Diag's to be the worst - it'll pass drives that stop during the test and drives that make sort of noises. I too generally use Maxtor's Diag's to test any make of drive.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
For the price of Spinrite, he can have a new hard disk! $90 gets you a 120gig drive easily if you shop for rebates, this is a no-brainer! Also I hasten to add, even if Spinrite is the the greatest disk diagnostic around, it can't fix a truly broken drive. :rolleyes:

I'm giving away computers with 8gig drives in them, why in the world would you spend money to fix a 6.4gig drive that has no data you need? :confused:

be carefull what you say, I would definately take a free 8giger if I could get one :)

Cheers

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I just gave two computers to a local church, P233 & AMD-400, both had two small disks. I buy 80gig disks for $40 on rebate deals, the last thing I need to do is try to save a questionable tiny disk! :D The smallest disk in any system here right now is 60gig, this machine has a 200gig and a 160gig.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You never know, I'm getting older, I may need their services one of these days... :) Oh wait, maybe I should be giving to the old folks home! :D

Its definetly a good tax deduction, you can get a 500.00 credit for each one from the church.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online