1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Habu, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Habu

Habu Thread Starter

Long time viewer, first time to post. I am trying to replace the hard drive in a Pentium P55C W/MMX XB1/MXB1 200MHZ computer (Pionex). The OEM HDD crashed and is usless. I bought a new 40Gig hard drive and followed all installation procedures to no avail. I then used another computer to format the hard drive with no problems. Now when I put it in the P55C, the computer will not detect it. The computer hangs up on "Detecting IDE Primary Master." The jumpers are set just how the digram shows and it does give me the option of going into set up. The new hard drive is a Maxtor. My Bios info is, Bios Award 4.5 IPG. Is there any way to reset the Bios to OEM without Flashing?

2. HumperZ

HumperZ

It might be your mother board might not support that big of a hard drive. I had that problem too on a Tyan board i had. Try downloading new BIOS. If they are smart they should of made a new BIOS so the mother board can see a bigger hard drive.

Good luck.

3. Habu

Habu Thread Starter

Hi HumperZ and thanks for helping. How EXACTLY do you go about downloading a new BIOS and how again would you install it? This BIOS stuff is new to me. This computer is quick becoming a boat anchor....Thanks again.

4. Rockn

Rockn

You need to set the jumper so it is the ONLY drive in the PC if there si no slave, not master. If there is no other drive on the chain the BIOS won't detect it. Your version of the BIOS should be fine, that's what mine is at home.

5. PatInAz

PatInAz

What size was the old drive? A P200 is a fairly old setup, not sure if it can handle the large disk sizes which is greater than 8 gig. What is the date on the BIOS (displayed during the boot-up)?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice