1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD requires formatting after re-installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Asurah, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Asurah

Asurah Thread Starter

Hey there.
    I had some problems in the last couple of days with my Windows, and had to format and reinstall Windows XP. After I installed it and configured everything, I noticed my other HDD (I have one 80gb for OS, and a 250gb one for everything else - games, music, well everything) is inaccessible, and that it requires a format so I could begin working with it.
    I have almost 200gb of data on it, so I would really rather not to format the drive.
    So I have a few questions:
    1. Why is this happening? Why did a HDD that worked perfectly a hour ago, would now need formatting? I've reinstalled windows a thousand times before and never encountered that before.
    2. How can I either override the need to format, or save atleast some of the data on the drive if I absoloutley have to...

Thanks alot.:(

2. trix1210

trix1210

buy/borrow and install a new hard drive as a master, and install a fresh winxp/2000 on it. Now put the faulty drive as a slave. Plug in and listen to the faulty drive - If it is powering up and spinning and is not clicking or powering down, you MAY be able to recover some data back to the new drive u just installed.

Then download getdataback:

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-faq.htm and install it on the new drive, run it and watch your old data come flooding back...

..its saved my bacon many times at client sites!

Good Luck!!

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would try running chkdsk /r on the corrupted drive before doing anything else. Run, chkdsk /r and then hit enter.

4. worknfool

worknfool

forgot how to get to C prompt to run chkdsk, even w/ that the partition that XP is on is too small. If I had it to do all over I think I would leave each drive as a single large partition, any thoughts?

5. speed_hog

speed_hog

And I would stick it in another PC and see what happens is it usable etc..
    What type of disc's are they, basic (recommended) or dynamic?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343
    you can see this info by going into disk management.
    look below disk0 disk1 etc...
    if they are dynamic or different from each other that may be your problem.

**Next time always remove extra drives when doing an install or anything major to a hard drive.
    I had the same exact thing happen about 7 years ago and didn't know enough to figure it out nor was there a site like this that I could find to get help so I lost everything...
    **lesson learned backup to CD-DVD

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's why I told you how:
    "Run", "chkdsk /r " and then hit enter.

7. worknfool

worknfool

Discovered the evil squirrels that have been playing with my sanity. Daughter's b/f from the Geek Squad formatted one of my drives FAT for starters. Pulled an old drive that I knew was good & did a clean install on that, then added & removed others and reformatted accordingly. Got the partitions all squared away & everything's humming along just fine. XPsp3 in and this time I'm slippin' a CD for my next senior moment. Had a googol of driver updates to install & all went well except those from Intel (875 chip), but I'm hopin' to overcome thru prayer or applied physics (read hammer). Interesting time w/ Microsoft's Indian support mill over my validation/authentication getting blocked. After 2 hours of asking a very polite, but very heavily accented, young man to please speak more slowly, he finally escalated my problem. Gave me a 4 hr. window over 3 days that I had to be available. Hour 3 of day 3 I'm in the shower all soaped up & just miss the 2nd ring. Called back the I.D. # & got an North American help center that I could actually understand. Problem was, I didn't have an "alias" so they couldn't help me and oh by the way how did I get their number if I wasn't a MS employee? Now I understand the market dynamics but seems a bit hypo to me that the minions have to deal with scripted Hindi helpers and employees of the Borg get Mom's apple pie, from Colorado I believe it was. Ah well. Thanks to all who contribute here, my health insurer and the other kids in my therapy group appreciate it greatly. Always learn sumphin!

"A child of 5 would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of 5!" -Groucho

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice