1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD revving sound.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zuri_Phoenix, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zuri_Phoenix

Zuri_Phoenix Thread Starter

Good Day,

Ever so often, my hard drive makes this revving sound followed by a high-pitched click.
    It's like [revvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv ......... CLICK. revvvvvvvvvvvv ........ CLICK.] — and so on.
    It's a 500GB Seagate that i bought maybe 4 to 5 months ago.
    My PC will freeze when the noise starts. Sometimes i just restart the PC, other times i just wait & after like 3 minutes of that revving+click sound the PC will be back to normal.
    On the occasions when i DO restart the PC, most times i'd have to do so like 3 times before i get it to my desktop screen, due to the revving+clicking+freezing happening during boot-up.

I did a backup recently. So at least THAT'S covered, but the problem is getting to be extremely annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. fang508

fang508

That sounds like the click of death that HDDs get when their about to die lol.its good that u have a backup, because your drive's days/hours are numbered.I suggest u buy a new 1 lol.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The drive may pass a diagnostics and still be no good; especially when it works most of the time and then randomly starts clicking then returns to to normal.

If the sound is definitely from the drive then you should contact Seagate for a replacement drive.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd back up everything, the whole system, before testing. Tests can push a sick drive over the edge.

See what SMART says, too. HDTune

6. Zuri_Phoenix

Zuri_Phoenix Thread Starter

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Call/contact Seagate for warranty replacement.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice