1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD running at 100% activity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmacdee, Nov 7, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. jmacdee

jmacdee Thread Starter

Hi, all. I've run into this problem where my HDD is running at 100% activity. This causes major lagging and makes files and applications slow to open and games that use the drive unplayable.
    I have my operating system on SDD, with the HDD mostly running/storing applications/games and files.
    I've defragged both drives. I've updated device drivers using Driver Easy. I've disabled Windows Search. I've run MalwareBytes. I've even run reImage Repair.
    Looking in Task Manager, I see a ton of svchost.exe processes running (~70), and RuntimeBroker.exe has about 10 appearances. Since I game, I also have Steam.exe, SteamService.exe and steamwebhelper.exe.
    Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

(This is a custom build)
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16327 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (41 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (791 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8Z77-V PRO
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

1) Check Task Manager > Startup tab, and disable the apps you don't need running upon sign on

2) Download MS AutoRuns, and uncheckmark other apps that auto start. Be careful to leave drivers alone, as some are needed for Windows to start

3) Check that your SSD c: drive has free space.

3. jmacdee

jmacdee Thread Starter

1 -
    tsg Picture1.jpg
    2- Wasn't sure what to check, but went with this:
    tsg Picture2.jpg
    3- Still have over 40 GB on the SDD

I restarted after each step. HDD still hits 100% activity when accessing files/applications, but then drops to 0%

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't have a SSD, but could you right click on it, Properties, and go to the Tools tab. Is there a Check button, if so click it.

Then go to your HDD and do the same.

5. tecknurd

tecknurd

Use resource monitor to figure out what is using your hard drive. Then end that process. Also download the drive utility from the hard drive manufacture web site and run it. The specs in the S.M.A.R.T. information that you should look out for is the amount of sectors that have to be reallocated in the queue and the value of CRC getting exponentially larger in a short amount of time. All drives do CRC all the time, but large amounts in a short amount of time is signs of failure.

Don't defrag SSD. Defragging an SSD wears out the drive and it doesn't give any benefits. It's OK for the SSD to be fragmented and its performance will still be same as you first used it. Defragging is for HDD and only for HDD. The 41 GB of free space for the SSD is something you should be alarmed about. SSD works best if the amount of data used is about less than 50% to 60%. Any more the SSD loses performance. Plan on upgrading to a larger SSD.

You should put all your applications on the SSD instead of the HDD. Also you should change the location where My Documents, Videos, Music, Pictures, Downloads to the hard drive.

I recommend do backups if you haven't done them.

6. jmacdee

jmacdee Thread Starter

Lunarlander….I checked both

SSD checked out - no errors.
    HDD scan detected error(s) - fixed and rebooted.

Sadly the problem remains.

(not ignoring you tecknurd...just following one set of instructions at a time)

7. tecknurd

tecknurd

These sound like you ran scandisk. I didn't recommend this scan. I recommend go to Seagate or Western Digital and download the diagnostic utility. Running a scandisk can cause more harm if the hard drive is failing. Windows will run scandisk if it detects the filesystem is corrupted when it boots up. So running scandisk is not necessary.

If you have any backups of your data on that drive, do a backup now. Then resume trying to diagnose the problem.

8. jmacdee

jmacdee Thread Starter

So.....two of you have posted replies. Which one of you do I follow?

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In view of your reply regarding the checking of the drives
    and the fact that your opening post mentions that the problem appears to be the 2TB hard drive we need to know what these errors were

Open a command prompt with admin rights - so that the cmd window is headed Administrator Command prompt
    then using the letter allocated to the hard drive type the following command
    Your HDD is allocated letter D
    so at the command prompt type
    D:
    press enter
    now at the D:\> prompt
    type
    chkdsk /r
    press enter

If the response is that the chkdsk cannot run unless you force a dismount - do you wish to then type N
    If that was the response it should now ask do you wish to run on restart - type Y
    That maybe the first response.

Then reboot and the chkdsk will run
    It is a five stage check and will in view of the size of the drive take sometime. Do not interrupt it.
    When the check is completed and windows restarts normally go to Control Panel Admin tools
    event viewer
    in the left pane expand the entry windows logs and then click the application log
    When that log loads in the central window -
    go to the right pane and click find
    in the window that opens type
    wininit (note spelling please)
    click find next
    What it finds should be the chkdsk log for the D drive
    Open it and click to copy as text and paste to your reply

Here is a tutorial for finding the log in event viewer
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html

As mentioned above you want the
    wininit
    entry as that is where chkdsk is when run after a reboot

As posted in post 5 do NOT run defrag on an SSD drive, unless you use a third party defragger on 10 - Windows will not let you defrag an SSD drive.
    It automatically cares for the SSD and will fix file errors automatically OR alert you to the need to run a scan.

I do not recommend DriverEasy it is far safer to leave windows to update drivers (not that this is 100% correct all the time), but it is IMHO less risky than third party driver programs which often get it wrong.

What we are looking for on the chkdsk results - primarily is BAD SECTORS
    If there are any this would be the prime cause of the problems

10. tecknurd

tecknurd

I been in your condition and know what utilities are used for and what utilities are not used for. It's not a filesystem issue, so don't run chkdsk. Running chkdsk on a drive that is probably going is absolutely a bad idea. chkdsk is delaying the operation of the hard drive from moving data from bad sectors that it already knows as bad to known good sectors. The known good sectors are less than the advertised capacity, so it will only recover some. This operation takes time.

The utility chkdsk only verifies if the filesystem is OK. If not, it will correct the filesystem. It doesn't correct hardware issues. It can't correct bad sectors. chkdsk should only run a drive that is in good condition.

If your hard drive is from Seagate, download Seatools and run it.

If your hard drive is Western Digital, download Date Lifeguard and run it.

These utilities will verify the condition that your hard drive is in that chkdsk can't do.

I suggest assuming your hard drive is going. Copy any valuable data that you can before it goes.

Windows comes with Resource Monitor that will help you diagnose what it taking all the resources. This utility should be first that you should be doing to verify what is taking the resources. This is what I would have done first. If you don't know what is normally run, compare to another computer that has a similar setup.

Since you are storing your application on a hard drive and you are seeing the hard drive usage is 100%. This is normal. If you think this is not normal, compare it to another computer that only has a hard drive. If you load an application that is stored on the SSD, it too will use the same amount of usage. The SSD will load up the application faster than the hard drive.

Since you didn't post any logs of your condition, I think you have a normal computer. An ASUS P8Z77-V PRO is a motherboard that an end user would put in their computer if they are building a computer. Since this a computer you built, you should be doing most of the work diagnosing your problem.

11. Macboatmaster

I recommend you follow my advice.
    chkdsk in read only mode that is the cmd using only
    chkdsk - will not correct any errors.

chkdsk /f - checks and corrects file system errors.
    It does not check for bad sectors and attempt to correct the errors caused by those bad sectors.

chkdsk /r - includes f and therefore not only checks the file system, but also checks for bad sectors.
    If it finds bad sectors, it attempts to recover the data from those bad sectors and rewrite it to good sectors.
    It then marks the bad sectors as bad and this prevents data being written to them.

Neither chkdsk, nor any third party disk check and repair utility, be it Seagate, WD or any other can actually repair bad sectors, if they are physically bad sectors.
    As indeed explained by the Seagate article
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/articl...S&key=ka03A000000iuUUQAY&kb=n&wwwlocale=en-gb

For your information and that of tecknurd, here is a more complete explanation of chkdsk
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk

There is always a risk of running chkdsk on a failing drive, but then there is also a risk of running any disk checking utility on a failing drive.

So in summary chkdsk will fix errors where possible when used with the appropriate command
    Checks the file system and file system metadata of a volume for logical and physical errors. If used without parameters, chkdsk displays only the status of the volume and does not fix any errors. If used with the /f, /r, /x, or /b parameters, it fixes errors on the volume.

12. jmacdee

jmacdee Thread Starter

Good afternoon (US East Coast). Since I work night's, I enabled the chkdsk/r, rebooted and left it to run. I returned home (12+ hours) and chkdsk was apparently hung at 10%. I rebooted, chkdsk attempted to run and hung up at 10% again. Third reboot and Automatic Repair reports it is unable to fix the drive and offers Shut Down or Advanced Options; Advanced Options offers Continue to Windows 10, Troubleshoot and Shut Down. There was no wininit file.

13. Macboatmaster

That is not good news
    Continue to windows 10 and then
    Please run this cmd and report the results

wmic diskdrive get status
    If the drive is seriously defective it will not return
    OK
    It does not list drive letters.
    It is a very basic check

When we have that information we will decide where to go next

14. jmacdee

jmacdee Thread Starter

Results:

D:\>wmic diskdrive get status
    Status
    OK
    OK

15. Macboatmaster

Go here
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/aomei_partition_assistant.html
    download to C drive the Lite edition of the partition assistant

Ensure you skip the first window with the offer.
    Ensure you opt out of partaking of reporting use

Run the program when the window appears showing your drives right click the D drive and click the advanced entry on the small window that opens then click check partition
    When the next window opens click check whether there is a bad sector then click OK
    then on the next window click to check the quick check and then click start

Report the results please

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice