HDD SATA II to SSD SATA III

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rougeole

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191018114143.000000-240
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (335 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 140323953900843
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver 120214 - 20141202, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Trend Micro Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

My motherboard's SATA connections are ONLY SATA II. My hard drive is a 500gb SATA II WD Blue. I have Acronis 2020 for my clone/backup software. I want to upgrade my hard drive to a SATA III SSD but, the SSD I want to buy (Samsung 860 EVO 500gb SATA III) product guide says it's compatible support is only Windows 8.1 and older. I know that by upgrading to a SATA III will only read/write SATA II due to the constraints of my motherboard but, I can live with that until I build a newer PC.

Question: Would it be feasible for me to upgrade to a SATA II SSD or try and find a compatible SATA III SSD and live with the slower SATA II constraints?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and/or help on this matter.

Rougeole

SATA III is backward compatible with SATA II.
Yes, I knew it was but, the specs on the Samsung EVO 860 gave compatible windows versions of XP up to 8.1. And that confused me if it would work in my pc with windows 10. I guess I can do further research at Samsung. But, thank you for your answer.

crjdriver

The samsung 850/860 works fine with win10; using it right now on this system.
While I am a big fan of acronis, in this case I would use the purpose designed samsung data migration tool to clone your drive.

Rougeole

The samsung 850/860 works fine with win10; using it right now on this system.
While I am a big fan of acronis, in this case I would use the purpose designed samsung data migration tool to clone your drive.
Yes, I was't confident with the specs, but I think I will be okay with my upgrade. Thank you for your answer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online