HDD Serial?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Convice

I appologize beforehand if I've posted this in the wrong forum, and would also like to point out that this is not posted in order to learn how to do something - it's posted so that I may attempt to alleviate guilt from someone who may very well be falsely accused of something (as far as the person, that is all I will say on them)

Is it possible for someone's HDD Serial to be logged, then, using something such as Volume Serial, duplicated?

I know next to nothing as far as "hacking" is concerned (which is, far as I'm concerned, what this would be) - from the little research I've done into this, though, it seems possible.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than myself could answer this question - it would be much appreciated.

Sincerely yours,
Convice

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, I don't understand exactly what you are referring to here.

Do you have a question about the Windows Product Key "serial number" that is used when reinstalling the operating system? It is also known as the License Key....25 numbers and letters combined into 5 groups of 5 characters, for XP users, it is on a stick on label on the back or side of each computer....or, on a Certificate of Authority on packaged materials you get when you buy a computer, or buy a copy of an operating system.

If you mean something that can be used to copy an entire hard drive, yes there are utlities that can do this.
Could you explain a bit more exactly what you mean by this:

""Is it possible for someone's HDD Serial to be logged, then, using something such as Volume Serial, duplicated?"" I will try to help you as long as it does not break forum rules, but first, I have to fully understand exactly what you need to know.

Where is the hard drive that is suspected of being possibly duplicated?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online