1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD Specs?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raybro, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Hi... Im helping a friend with his puter and he wants to install a second HDD in his Gateway P4 machine running XP Home. I'm a Win98Se guy and I know how to do what I want on my machine but I'd like some input on how to do one thing on his.

How can I determine the specs on his current drive so he can purchase a second drive to match it as close as possible. I know I could open the tower and look at the drive, but I'm asking is there a way to view the info with some built in feature with XP? I could always install AIDA32 to view the info on drives as I do on my system, but he would have no use for the utility after that. Just trying to minimize the procedure.

Thanks... Raybro

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks ozrom1e, but I'm trying to avoid installing any more utility progs than necessary as he will have no use for them later. My question is whether XP has a similar feature built into it. I realize this is a nit, but as I said, just trying to minimze. Besides, I'll maybe learn a bit about XP.

Raybro

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The only place you are going to get any info like what you are looking for in Win XP is in Device Manager for any specs at all on any device. Here is one that runs off of a CD-R or Thumbdrive and does not load into Windows = SIW 1.60

http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/siw_download.html

5. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks again ozrom1e for the response. SWI 1.60 looks like something I'd be interested in. It's may also be something I'd like to have on CD for use on other friends puter's. As to my fundamental question... You're saying XP has nothing built in to get that info. OK, now I know. 'preciate the input.

Raybro

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

What specs are you looking for? Size of drive? That can be obtain from Explorer. Make of drive? You can get that from the Hardware Manager. If you are adding a second drive, the drive specs of your main drive make no difference UNLESS you are planning to use RAID. Basically, you can install any brand and size as a second hard drive, just makes sure the jumpers are set properly on BOTH drives before connecting them.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It does but you are going to work for them. SIW is the cats meow and it tells you things that you will not believe.

8. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

ozrom1e Got it!! Now thats a nice little prog to have on CD. It will be very useful for my current question and in the future.

Thanks a bunch... Raybro

9. Stallcup

Stallcup

HDD information can be obtained at Start/Run/type "msinfo32" (without the quotations)/OK.
    The System Information window will open. Open COMPONENTS, open STORAGE, click on DISKS. The HDD information will be located in the right pane.

10. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks Stallcup... That sounds a lot simpler. I'll check it out next time I'm on my friends 'puter

Raybro

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice