HDD SSD Priority

Johnathome

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro, 64 bit, Build 22000, Installed 20211123185053.000000+000
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-9100 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 11, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (884 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO 3178, ver SDK0J40700 WIN 3258158214496
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1130, s/n YL00Q8B8
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Hi Despite the foregoing there is in fact a new 250gb SSD Crucial Nvme installed in M2 slot. It shows in Disk Mgmt but not in Explorer. I cloned ssd from the HDD shown above above and Acronis confirmed "successful". Am only slightly knowledgable, but I managed to change boot priority to the SSD and wish to use "old" HDD for data storage. If I disconnect the HDD the system boots instantly from SSD but when HDD reconnected, system boots to HDD. I assume clone means what is says but curiously in Bios/ uefi the SSD is described as Crucial...... while HDD is described as Western...... with added subscript "Win Boot Manager". This aspect is confusing me as are the very many comments out in the ether re Boot Manager/ Secure Boot/ Installation/ Reinstallation, ad nauseum.

IF--- I have 2 thumb backups, one a sys recovery the other a reinstallation of Win 11 Pro (prepared BEFORE ssd cloning). I wonder could I boot from (which) one, and have that system reformat old drive as a data store. Obviously this is impossible in present set up as OS will not reformat the system from which it operates. I seee this appears to be a recurring issue but few clear solutions.

I trust that I have explained and am hoping for a workaround/ link or whatever, without too much technical. Acronis/ Crucial and Lenovo have not been much help. !!

Thanks in hope,

If you want to use your HDD as a data drive, then unplug the SSD, plug in the HDD, boot with the Windows setup USB and use it to format the HDD. Then unplug the USB. and plug in the SSD, and you will have Windows running and your data HDD..

Johnathome

Lunarlander-- This is the most succinct, jargon free, helpful and well worded piece of advice I have encountered on the very numerous fora/ sites/ guides/ videos etc that I have ploughed through in past 10 days. I admit I diverted very slightly from your precise instructions which nevertheless were the trigger for my course of action. I am a bit wary of the intricacies and "dangers" of booting/ rebooting/ imaging/ restoring/ repairing and installing etc but your advice made me wise to the obvious avenue--- I took out the Source HDD, plugged it into another Win 10 PC and "nuked" it so to speak. When reinstalled in my main pc the New SSD and resurrected HDD (now storage only) worked a treat. You could teach many so called Support/ Experts a ting or three. Thanks very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online