1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD Temps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DonsRuleOK, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DonsRuleOK

DonsRuleOK It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

guys

I recently installed speedfan - and to be honest I don't really understand what it all means and how to properly use it.

it says the following:
    HDD 1 49 C
    HDD 2 57 C

temp 1 51
    temp 2 42

Are these too high?

if so what do I do to correct it.

are one of the drives too hot?

Thanks

2. mobo

mobo

If its a pentium then they are on the top end of the scale and if its an AMD then you're fine.

3. Annorax

Annorax

That's not too bad, what's your processor?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If your hd are stacked one right on top of the other, I would move one of them so that there is some space between drives. The computer I am typing this on runs two drives one is 24C and the other 25C. 57C is a little warm for a hd. Make sure there is room around the drive for cooling air to circulate.

Temp 1 is cpu temp, temp 2 is system temp. I love speedfan; I install it on every box I build.

5. Romulus

Romulus

You don't need to worry about that temperature. They are often around 45-60C.
    I've heard they can go up to 70 without problem, but my opinion is that <60 is a preferable temperature to extend lifetime of the drive.

Edit: LOL! I see we all have different opinions..! ;D

6. DonsRuleOK

Thanks for the input guys

lets say for argument sake that I can't move my hdd any further apart within the case.

If these temps were too high, how do I use SpeedFan to cool them down - is this possible.

Thanks

annorax - my processor - AMD 2.4

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, speedfan will not cool your hd. You can set an option in power management to power down the drive after a set amount of time, which will help dissipate some of the heat.
    If you have a small case, you can try moving one of the drives to an empty 5 ¼ bay. You will need drive rails [available at any computer shop] to install a 3 ½ drive in a 5 ¼ bay. If you do this think about cabling [master / slave device] and which drive needs to move. Cleaning up cables, wires, etc. inside the case will help with airflow and in turn help cooling.

8. DonsRuleOK

I have been monitoring my temps for the last couple of days, and I suspect that my hdd's are evr so slightly on the hot side.

With this in mind, I am considering getting another fan (hopefully aimed specifically at the hdd's and cd-rw/dvd.

So I was wondering what my best options were. I don't want to spend a fortune, and am not sure where I would place it in the case - I have an Azure case and my mobo is asrock K7S8X.

Any suggestions as to my best options?

Thanks

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If your case has provisions for both an intake and an exhaust fan, I would install both. The intake should be in the lower front of the case; the exhaust fan in the rear near the top.
    If you are going to have just one fan, use an exhaust fan in the rear of the case. Some hard drive cages have a provision for a fan in front of the drive cage. You will need to check your case and see where you can install a fan. Remember exhaust is better than intake if you only have one.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/154944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice