1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD title changed from "Seagate "XXX" to "ICL350XXXX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scooby_steve, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I've got seagate hdd that now displays ICL5Oxxxxx when booting up (as detected in the BIOS). Does this mean that my controller board on my HDD is faulty??

I can still run HDD diagnostics and it passes them however i cant boot from it. Any help on what i can do next? Thanks

Regards

steve

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is odd, it did the same thing on my inspiron. used to identify the Toshiba drive by name but now it identifies it by part number. No Bios flash involved wither. Have neverhad a bit of trouble with it.

3. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon Gentlemen, that sounds awfully strange, the drive is supposed to be OK but it doesn't work!
    It sounds like it may be being incorrectly detected in BIOS.
    Firstly give this HDDRegenerator program a quick try, download the "TRY" program make a bootable CD or Floppy with it. (CD is best) http://www.dposoft.net/
    Boot to it and see that the detected drive information is correct with what you think you are supposed to have, and let the program run. It will take a while but harmless and is worthwhile. See if it detects any bads during it's scan. Being shareware it will only fix one but gives an idea of condition. (restarting it may fix another but often there will be lots of errors once they begin.)

If you prove the drive is good, try the BIOS settings and confirm that the settings are correct for the drive specifications, Cylinders, Heads and Sectors kind of thing as per the manual setting procedure.
    It is almost as if the drive firmware has been affected somehow.

qldit.

4. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Did a chkdsk on it after going into recovery mode(as pc was not booting)... found bad sectors... repaired and PC booted all ok.. however, name is still ICLxxxxx. strange isnt it. thanks again

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I have two nominally identical IBM Ultrastar SCSI drives. They are both in the same machine on the same controller and are set up the same at the BIOS level. One of them identifies itself at startup by model number; the other one returns a blank field for model number.

Why? I have no idea and have devoted exactly zero effort to finding out. Both drives work fine; I don't really care about anything else.

6. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon, that really is interesting.
    Next time I run into a drive guru I will have to enquire, there is a possibility it may have relevance to drive condition.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    qldit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!