Solved HDD to laptop not working

Omrad

Hi,
I just opened my old PC because I wanted to take the hard drive out and look if something was still on there. This PC itself doesn't work, so I'm not sure if the hard drive works or not. I took the hard drive out and I connected my Sabrent SATA to USB connector to it and I get no response. Is the hard drive broken or do I need another cable?

Thanks.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It sounds like you have a Samsung HD103SI 1 TB capacity SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard disk drive.

We're not there, so we don't know if there's a problem with your Sabrent SATA-to-USB adapter.
What's the description of the computer you connected it to and got no response?

There are several models of the Sabrent SATA-to-USB adapter.
Which one do you have?

-------------------------------------------------

Omrad

I think I already found the major problem. The Sabrent SATA-to-USB adapter was for 2.5 inch SSD's and HDD's. I'm pretty sure I need the 3.5 inch one. But would I need something else, like something that supplies more power? Or is an adapter enough.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The power and data connections are the same for 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives, so you should be able to use your Sabrent adapter with both sizes.
If you will provide the exact description of yours or provide a webpage link to it, we will be able to confirm if it can make use of both sizes.
Does yours obtain its power only from a USB port, or does it have a power cable that plugs into an electrical outlet?

------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
THIS is the SATA-to-USB adapter that I use for 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives.
As you can see from its images, it requires the use of an external electrical connection.

If yours gets it power only from a USB port, it may work okay with a 2.5" SATA drive, but it will not work with a larger 3.5" SATA drive.
A 3.5" SATA drive requires more power than what a USB port can provide.
That's why you're getting no response.

Your site is non-English, but I can tell from its description and from its images that it receives power only from a USB port and is designed for use only with 2.5" SATA drives.

------------------------------------------------

Omrad

I dont know why but the link is not working right now so I'll just give the name :
Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Converter, Adapter for 2.5/3.5" Drives, HDD, SSD, with 12V 2A Power Supply

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I didn't read any of the reviews, but it looks to me and should work. (y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online