1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Havickk, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Havickk

Havickk Thread Starter

I would love to transfer my OS (windows 10) from my hdd to my ssd

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is pretty easy however you need to post a LOT more info; exact mech drive, exact ssd, how is the ssd connected ie M.2 slot, sata, controller card, what?
    Most [however not all] ssd mfg have purpose designed cloning software available for download from the support page however we have no idea what drives you have so telling you where to download this software is impossible.

3. Havickk

Havickk Thread Starter

I understand im sorry, my ssd is connected via M.2 (Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 250GB) ive already got it configured. And am currently using it for Games i have 138gb free out of 232GB if i have to wipe it to do the process i am willing. i can always re-download my games. i appreciate your time thank you.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to transfer, then you are going to have to clone from the mech drive to the M.2. Cloning will destroy ALL data on the destination drive so be sure and backup whatever you want to keep. Samsung has excellent cloning software available on the support site. It is called data migration;
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
    You might also want to install the samsung magician software.
    Once you have the data migration installed, select source [mech drive] and destination [M.2 drive] Complete the clone process and shutdown. DO NOT reboot with both drives connected. Once the system is shutdown, open the case and pull the pw connector from the mech drive. Now pw ON and make sure the system boots, drive letters are correct, etc. Once you see that everything works, you can shutdown and reconnect the spin drive. Use the mech drive for data, image backups, etc. You can format it first if you want or just delete the windows folder and use the drive for whatever you want.

5. Havickk

Havickk Thread Starter

hello i downloaded everything you asked me to. but now that im trying to clone it is says i need "more space" and when i go to the next page to "uncheck things i dont want cloned" it only lets me check off 0.9G worth of stuff. and it says i need 91gb of additional space. i just want the OS not everything.

Attached Files:

6. wbennett77

wbennett77

Do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the new SSD and then download your games. If your previous Windows 10 is legit and was activated this should work without needing any cloning.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you clone, it is all or nothing; ie the whole disk. You can uninstall games, programs, etc to free up space before beginning the clone.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Really if it were me, I would clean install windows however that is up to you.
    If you decide to clean install, have ONLY the M.2 drive installed. Win setup will default to installing boot files to a drive connected to sata 1, 2, 3, etc. When you have all other drives unplugged, setup has no choice and will install the boot files to the M.2.

Again up to you if you want to transfer your os or just clean install.

9. Havickk

Havickk Thread Starter

so should i remove the SATA once it shuts off to restart? once i start the process of course. i will be doing a fresh install

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The is not making sense; are you going to clone or are you doing a clean install?
    If you are doing a clean install, then have only the M.2 drive installed when you do the install. Connect any other drives when finished with the install.

11. Havickk

Havickk Thread Starter

I am taken to my BIOS. After following your instructions. When I save and exit the computer resets,ASUS Logo, than kicks me back into BIOS. At this point I only have my M.2 as my (main) storage installed

Attached Files:

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you use the samsung data migration software?
    If the clone will not work, simply clean install.

13. Havickk

Havickk Thread Starter

DONE!

unfortunately i had to factory reset my PC to Migrate the OS using the Migration software, i kept getting a message "error during fragmentation" and would not let me migrate. After all that is said and done i followed your steps in #4 and BOOM! it worked thank you so much again for your time and having to deal with my un-experienced self.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice