1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hdd transfer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rath150, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rath150

rath150 Thread Starter

HI,
    I am a newbie!!
    I am unsuccessfuly attempting to use a hdd from an emachine and use it in another non-brand puter.
    OS vista home premium 32 bit. when i bootup asks to boot from cd. i have tried ot use disk from emachne but still won't boot. put back in emachine works fine. is there some way that i can switch hdd from emachine to the other?? evidently they have something installed specifically for emachines?? i have another hdd with an older OS and i can't finda way to format it so i can install a new OS.
    confused is my middle name.

Thanks

rath150 :confused:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You cannot move a system drive from one computer to another. If you want to reinstall your operating system, you need either the restore disks that came with the computer or access to the restore partition on the original hard drive.

3. paisanol69

paisanol69

...are asking for help...

if you are trying to move the HDD to another machine, and keep the operating system on that HDD, once it has been moved, then DoubleHelix has more than answered your question.

If you are only trying to re-use the hard drive as a spare hard drive, in another machine, then why don't you simply format it in the old emachine, then move the blank, or clean HDD to the new machine?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice