hdd transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rath150

HI,
I am a newbie!!
I am unsuccessfuly attempting to use a hdd from an emachine and use it in another non-brand puter.
OS vista home premium 32 bit. when i bootup asks to boot from cd. i have tried ot use disk from emachne but still won't boot. put back in emachine works fine. is there some way that i can switch hdd from emachine to the other?? evidently they have something installed specifically for emachines?? i have another hdd with an older OS and i can't finda way to format it so i can install a new OS.
confused is my middle name.

Thanks

rath150 :confused:

DoubleHelix

Banned
You cannot move a system drive from one computer to another. If you want to reinstall your operating system, you need either the restore disks that came with the computer or access to the restore partition on the original hard drive.

HI,
I am a newbie!!
I am unsuccessfuly attempting to use a hdd from an emachine and use it in another non-brand puter.
OS vista home premium 32 bit. when i bootup asks to boot from cd. i have tried ot use disk from emachne but still won't boot. put back in emachine works fine. is there some way that i can switch hdd from emachine to the other?? evidently they have something installed specifically for emachines?? i have another hdd with an older OS and i can't finda way to format it so i can install a new OS.
confused is my middle name.

Thanks

rath150 :confused:
...are asking for help...

if you are trying to move the HDD to another machine, and keep the operating system on that HDD, once it has been moved, then DoubleHelix has more than answered your question.

If you are only trying to re-use the hard drive as a spare hard drive, in another machine, then why don't you simply format it in the old emachine, then move the blank, or clean HDD to the new machine?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online