1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD with 4 k sectors and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mike3, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike3

Mike3 Thread Starter

Hello everyone :)

I just bought a 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD (WD10EARS) and it said on the packaging that if I want to use it with Windows XP -
    - I need to set a jumper on pins 7-8 if I plan to use it with a single partition or
    - use the WD align tool if I plan to use multiple partitions and/or cloning tools
    - later OS' like Vista or Win 7 don't need this.

So this seems one of the new models that switched from the 512 bytes sectors to 4k sectors.

I plan to use it as a single partition so the means the jumper right ? The trouble is I don't have one.

So I have some related questions:
    1. Can I use the WD align tool instead - or is the jumper solution better, for full performance for a single partition?
    2. Do I format the drive first or download and use the tool ? Has anyone done this before, thoughts ?
    3. I dual boot XP with Win 7 RC - if I format it in Win 7 do I need to go through all the above - and if I don't need to - will it then work fine (full performance) in XP afterwards ?

Thanks!

Edit: I formated it in Win 7 and will hope for the best. So far it works fine, showed up in XP and seems to work well.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Were you planning on installing a system on this drive ???

If I may ask .. I'd like to see a and a Crystal Disc Mark and a HD Tune bench mark tests from XP and W7.

Attached Files:

• Test.gif
      Test.gif
      File size:
      75.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Mike3

Mike3 Thread Starter

They say that Windows 7 doesn't need those tweaks except for cloning utilities (which I'm not going to use). So I formated the drive (single NTFS partition) in Win7.
    So what I'm mostly interested is if XP can use it now that Win7 did the heavy lifting.

Nope, just for file storage. Win XP and 7 are on another HDD.

I'll edit my post in a few with the benchmarks results.

Edit 1:
    Crystal Disc Mark on Win XP Pro:

[​IMG]

Edit 2:
    HD Tune on XP Pro:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit 3:
    Crystal Disc Mark on Win 7 RC (Release Candidate) Ultimate

[​IMG]

Edit 4:
    HD Tune on Win 7 RC...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Me too .. It's my un-educated opinion that the Greens are only good for Storage use ...
    And in an External Enclosure where heat may be a problem ... and I may be looking at it from different systems.

SATA 2 (3.0Gb/s) are obsolete now .. My New Black series .. SATA 3 (6.0Gb/s) ... Will be arriving this evening.
    either way .. I suspect the speed bottle neck is the Hard Drive platter technology.

6. Mike3

Mike3 Thread Starter

That's what I'm using it for so I should be fine. Low power consumption, silent, cheap and lots of storage.
    It stayed at 35-36 Celsius throughout the tests, and it's not exactly airy in my PC, stuck between two other HDDs and no dedicated fan. It looks cool to me. :p
    But don't forget the most important bottleneck - the price; SSDs are not there yet, not for me at least.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

That answer is not clear, using the drive as storage for XP, not sure what the answer is. A very good question.

8. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Great .. Sounds like we're on the same page.
    I have a couple 1TB Greens in a tight (No Cooling) USB enclosure .. They're great for this occasional purpose.

As far as my system discs .. I've moved up to the Black series with a 5 yr warranty and a 32bit cache....
    As shown in my previous attachment ... And they look similar to your tests.

My new SATA 3 with a 64mb cache and twin processors is on the UPS truck headed my way as I type this.
    I'm just curious how it will perform with my SATA 2 Mobo.

I've looked into SSDs .. But didn't like what I read about the Write problem.
    Faster booting and loading of Photoshop would be nice .. But after that, My old system is as fast as I am.
    For a couple hundred dollars .. I'll wait on PS to load :D
    And my system boots about as fast as I can pour my morning coffee.

Windows 7 is so handicapped, I really hate using it .. And will use XP if I have any serious work to do.
    But this reminds me ... When the HDD arrives I'll test it on both systems.

9. Mike3

Mike3 Thread Starter

I finished all the benchmarks. It looks ok, right ?

And the question remains:

10. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    From what I see .. It looks as good as my Blacks .. I was surprised because it shows it as a slow RPM drive ??
    But I think the Greens use a variable speed ??? ... Should be great for storage purposes.
    Isn't your W7 RC about to expire ?? ... W7 SP1 is being leaked now, Beta should be available soon :D

11. Mike3

Mike3 Thread Starter

Yeah, it started bugging me about it, though I don't really care since I do everything in XP. I'll upgrade it soon. Or nuke the whole partition. ;)

12. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    If I didn't get it for free .. I'd have serious thoughts about having to pay for it.
    [​IMG]

Just my $0.02 worth .. But I do not have internal drives just for storage ...
    They are for Backup storage ... and ... Backup Systems ...
    Drives 2 & 3 have fresh installs in them .. ready for the next recovery

Attached Files:

13. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I did not expect these numbers ???
    Left to right ... Comparing a ...
    WD SATA2 320GB 16Mb Cache ...
    WD SATA2 640GB 32Mb Cache ...
    WD SATA3 640GB 64Mb Cache ...
    all plugged into a SATA2 Mobo .. running W XP

Attached Files:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice