1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD Write Protected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 000Hedgehog000, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 000Hedgehog000

000Hedgehog000 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a 1TB External HArd Drive and some times I try to add data to it and I received the message Windows cannot ..................... because the drive is write protected. I turn off the HDD and turn it on again and work fine, the same thing happens withe every flash card I put in the card reader (SD, XD, Micro). Can some one know How I can fix this, I'm running Windows 7 Proffesional X64. I'm having this problem since 2009 I guess and I format my PC on February 2010 and still the same problem. Sorry for any bad english

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Hola. Almost sounds like a USB goes to sleep type of problem.

Are you getting the error message in Spanish? If so, can you post the Spanish message? Sometimes that is easier to google and find solutions found by others.

3. 000Hedgehog000

Ok the computer says

The disk is write protected. Remove the write protection or use another disk. The SD Card is not write protected and this happen to me with every card (SD XD or micro) and nome times with my External HDD. I put the SD on my laptop (running XP) and everything works fine

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

Is your laptop running a 32 bit operating system?

5. 000Hedgehog000

Yes the laptop is running x32, right now Im installing Windows XP Mode on W7 to see what happens

6. 000Hedgehog000

Same thing on Windows XP Mode, and cant find anything on google

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

Seems strange. I don't think changing modes would matter. I was more concerned about the base OS being 32 vs 64 to see if that was a pattern.

Calling it a night. Bien suerte!

8. 000Hedgehog000

Gracias por la ayuda

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

10. valis

valis Moderator

who protected the HD? Is this a company pc?

11. Bernardo

Bernardo

I don't think it has been protected Valis....it's looking like a common problem with 64bit Windows 7. Turning the drive off, then back on, fixes it ;)

12. valis

valis Moderator

nice......wonder why that is......anything being written to the event log, do we know?

13. Bernardo

Bernardo

14. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

The last time I ran across a hard drive that was write protected(was a long time ago, windows 98se), it was a government computer purchased at an auction. They had put some sort of mbr software on the computer, and the only way I could get the hard drive to function properly was to fdisk/mbr.

15. Bernardo

Bernardo

The point here is, the drive is NOT write protected ;) Nor are the SD chips and every other external storage device he plugs in ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice