HDD Write Protected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

000Hedgehog000

Hi, I have a 1TB External HArd Drive and some times I try to add data to it and I received the message Windows cannot ..................... because the drive is write protected. I turn off the HDD and turn it on again and work fine, the same thing happens withe every flash card I put in the card reader (SD, XD, Micro). Can some one know How I can fix this, I'm running Windows 7 Proffesional X64. I'm having this problem since 2009 I guess and I format my PC on February 2010 and still the same problem. Sorry for any bad english

Hola. Almost sounds like a USB goes to sleep type of problem.

Are you getting the error message in Spanish? If so, can you post the Spanish message? Sometimes that is easier to google and find solutions found by others.

000Hedgehog000

Ok the computer says

The disk is write protected. Remove the write protection or use another disk. The SD Card is not write protected and this happen to me with every card (SD XD or micro) and nome times with my External HDD. I put the SD on my laptop (running XP) and everything works fine

000Hedgehog000

Yes the laptop is running x32, right now Im installing Windows XP Mode on W7 to see what happens

Seems strange. I don't think changing modes would matter. I was more concerned about the base OS being 32 vs 64 to see if that was a pattern.

Calling it a night. Bien suerte!

I don't think it has been protected Valis....it's looking like a common problem with 64bit Windows 7. Turning the drive off, then back on, fixes it ;)

valis

nice......wonder why that is......anything being written to the event log, do we know?

mtzlplex

Account Closed
The last time I ran across a hard drive that was write protected(was a long time ago, windows 98se), it was a government computer purchased at an auction. They had put some sort of mbr software on the computer, and the only way I could get the hard drive to function properly was to fdisk/mbr.

The point here is, the drive is NOT write protected ;) Nor are the SD chips and every other external storage device he plugs in ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online