1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD's overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vlatko, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vlatko

vlatko Thread Starter

Hi all!

OK, I'll start from the beginning. Yesterday I bought a third SATA drive and because I found it a little bit noisier than my other two SATA's, I started researching the web about it and ended up benchmarking all of my 3 HDD's with HD Tune and here are the results.

Hitachi (HDT725032V) 320GB, 7200 RPM, 16mb cache

[​IMG]

Seagate (ST3500630AS), 500GB, 7200 RPM, 16mb cache

[​IMG]

Western Digital Caviar (WD2500JS-00MHB), 250GB, 7200 RPM, 8mb cache

[​IMG]

The rest of my configurations is as follows:

ABIT AN8 SLI
    2.5GB DDR RAM Kingmax 3200 400Mhz
    GeForce 6600GT
    Sound Blaster Audigy 4
    Windows XP SP2

Windows are installed on the Hitachi and are REALLY bloated, I haven't done a fresh install for almost 2 years. The whole system performance suffers because of that. From what I understand the Hitachi and Seagate should have a little better performance results than that, could the bloated Windows install have something to do with that?

The general consenzus is that my drives are working at very high temperatures, especially the WD Caviar which is supposed to be burnt beyond recognition. But what's strange is that I'm using that WD Caviar for over 1.5 years now and I NEVER experienced any problems with it whatsoever. I have the Hitachi for about a year and had no problems at all as well. Both work flawlessly and are really quiet, so I am really pleased with them. I have the Seagate for 24 hours and apart from it being a little bit noisy it works flawlessly as well.

This whole temperature thing has got me a little worried for my drives, what could be the cause of it? Is it possible that this HD Tune program doesn't make accurate readings?

Any advice or information is appreciated.

2. vlatko

vlatko Thread Starter

Sorry to bump but..any opinions?

3. Athan

Athan

Hi vlatko,

I am not too sure if it'll help but this may be worth a try !!

all the best

~a

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

They all show too hot. Normally a 7200rpm drive runs around 35-40 or so in a well designed system. A raptor runs a few degrees hotter due to higher rpm.

Do you have all three of these drives stacked one on top of the other by chance?

What type of case and case cooling do you have?

5. vlatko

vlatko Thread Starter

No they're not stacked up on top of each other. Here's a pic of the inside of my box:

[​IMG]

The drives are from top to down: WD, Seagate, Hitachi. I think they all got enough space between each other, no?

As for my type of case and cooling, I wouldn't know the brand, some standard stuff I suppose

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you have two what look like 80mm fan openings in the rear that are not being used. Install 2 80mm exhaust fans and make sure the opening in the front of the case is not obstructed. This will cool your drives quite a bit.

7. vlatko

vlatko Thread Starter

I'm afraid I ain't got any more free molex power connectors, my PSU is some generic crap I believe. I only got 4, 4-pin molex connectors which are used by my 3 HDDs and my DVD-RW. The only power supply cable I have left is this(the small one in the middle):

[​IMG]

If by some magic a fan can be hooked on that, I could buy one 80mm fan and install it.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The "correct" thing would be to install a quality pw supply. You might be able to get by running off of the optical drive. They do not use much pw and you can use a "Tee" adapter to pull power from that molex lead.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW the adapter is [usually] included when you buy the fan

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you install just one exhaust fan, then cover the other hole with duct tape. This way it will pull air from the front of the case through the system [cooling your drives] Rather than pulling air from the open exhaust vent. Air, like electricity, will follow the path of least resistance.

11. vlatko

vlatko Thread Starter

Yes, for now I'll try to install one fan using that adapter. In the future I'll be looking to buy a proper PSU as well, I'm short on money ATM and I also need a new graphics card so, it might be a while.

Thanks for everything, you've been really helpfull. I'll get back to you when I buy and install the fan.

12. vlatko

vlatko Thread Starter

Well I installed this fan and did everything you told me.

Cooler for case PAPST, 80 mm, 9 dB, N/2GLLE

Case fan
    Dimensions: 80x80x25 mm
    Noise: 9 db
    4 Pin connector
    0.9 W

[​IMG]

The PC has been running with it for about 1h so far and there's absolutelly no improvement, temperature wise on the HDDs. :(

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!