1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDDs Running Hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ariesjill, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned Thread Starter

Hi,

I just installed a backup drive internally in my Optiplex GX620 (P-D, 3.4; 2 GBs DDR2 ram) desktop.

The original drive, WD SATA 2, 16 cache, 250GBs, when alone, ran at around 36C. When I installed the new backup drive, WD SATA2, 16 cache, 160GBs....I saw the original drives runns on average at wround 44-46C and the new drive at around 39-40C.

Naturally, the drives are on respective STATA controllers. I am only using the new drive as backup via XXclone.

Naturally, I am not loving these new temps even if thee fall below critical levels re WD.:(

Both drives test perfect in every way; the system is perfect in every way. I have no clue what I can do to lower these temps; the 620 has supposedly cutting edge thermal design, one fan, but oddly placed and variable. there is no way I can see to mess with the fan in the bios.

My PSU is 305W....and if a solution would be to upgrade it, it would cost a small fortune.

Thanks for any help on this, guys!

Jill

2. wiley8425

wiley8425

I'm interested to hear what else you have in your system. 305W sounds pretty low. If you are considering upgrading the PSU, also look at the current on the rails. Wattage means nothing if you aren't getting enough amps to run your components.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

If this machine has a BTX form factor board, there is really not much you can do to it in the way of improving cooling.

4. Ariesjill

Wow, Wiley, that was immediate! thanks so much.

Well, I will open the box and look more carefully at the PSU, but I ain't no gamer, so just have the basics...factory-loaded internal Vid, etc. Nothing behind my back, nothing up my sleeve, I could, in fact upload the data using Astra 32 so U can C.

Basic components, Optical drive, floppy and now the two HDDs.

I just do not get why, before the addition of the second drive yesterday, the original 250 WD ran at such normal temps.....since, not that I know much...I read a HDD only uses like 10 Ws max....less when idling.

I did screenies of the system via Astra and will upload them...when I log off my work site, I will open the Puppy and get all the data re the PSU & post those.

Thank U siooooo much!

Jill

Attached Files:

5. wiley8425

wiley8425

6. wiley8425

wiley8425

Power supply doesn't look like an issue. My first move would be to look at improving air flow in the case.

Found this on another forum: http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/68130

Maybe you are having a similar issue with the new drive?

7. Ariesjill

Wow! Amazing link! Even obsessive Googling did not produce a link this rich.....thank U so much.

I need or read these data more carefully and C if I can harvest things I might meploy. I also should say cause I forgot, that I always choose the biggest configurations n the opis....called the mini towers. There are 3 smaller configuration within each model.

I do this (duh) for THERMAL REASONS. din seem to do me much good this time.

Also, Dell engineers these very beautifully....i.e., the respective bays all have flexible nylon caddys holding the drives which you can just snap in and out....in this system, does not even require screws. but just struck me, unlike when we have two rails holding the drives....maybe the caddys permit LESS air flow?

I must now look at the fan, its action re the HDD bay. There is no dust in this box.

I was even thinking, given the new drive is only for backup....and, as in my other Optiplex, I use XXclone to do incremental updates only maybe every two weeks---will.....if i might disable the backup drive except for those??????

Maybe via disk manager or even turning that SATA controller off in the bios? Or some other way?

Thanks so much for that link......it is HUGE. Maybe, at the end it even has the solution to Global Warming.....where 2 download that.;)
    J.

8. Ariesjill

Hi, Intel Guy!

Forgive my ignorance, but can U plase explain this? I do believe that is my mobo. Why does this preclude some creative ingenuity re the thermal situation?

Thank U!
    Jill

9. Ariesjill

Wait!

OK, first, the mobo in the link somewhere above....is the mobo for the SMALL FORM FACTOR GX620.

Again, I would rather eat worms than get anything smaller than the largest configuration, the "mini tower." Again, cause I already have a lappy....so I am not interested in a desktop so small it brings the problems inherent in 4 pound laptops.

This is my Optiplex:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/en/ug/A02/mtdrvs00.htm#wp1136008

Full sized.....I could probably fit nside it myself. U will also see the engineering of the bays and the chip and the fan. In case that helps lead to some ephiphany. I am outta those in this little heat challenge.:confused:

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Before you reinvent the thermal transfer properties, have you tried taping a thermometer to the drive?

You are relying on uncalibrated 10 cent devices being "interrogated" by software that is not calibrated to the thermal sensor.

Errors of +/- 10°C (or more) in measurement would not be surprising and have often been observed.

Although the device is a computer, it is in no way optimised or in any way accurate for temperature reporting. Treat it as a rough guide only.

11. Ariesjill

Uh oooo....

I beg forgiveness; I got sumthin very important WRONG.

I just opened the box and looked at the PSU. OMG am I stupid. This PSU is no way 305....even if watts do not matter....it is 230!!!!!! I only LEARNED THIS 5 MINS AGO.

My other Opti, a GX260....came with 250 and I upgraded IT TO MORE!

I also Googled the Dell p/n (N8372...L230P000 AND THAT CONFIRMED. i do see OEM upgrades for not that much if U R desperate & hysterical which I am....plus, even tho these PSUs R very proprietary, U can even get adapters to use more generic ones.

Again, forgive my bad....I learn as I go.:(

Now....given this shocking thing.....NOW, WOULD IT SOLVE MY NEW PROBLEM & PRECLUDE my HDDs from melting if I upgraded to NEW PSU?

Jill (shame on me)

12. Ariesjill

Hi, Kiwi,

But I LIKE REINVENTING STUFF! Ok, seriously, it would never have struck me to try wut U suggested. But I am open to all things. Which of the two drives do I tape the thermometer to? I assume one and then the other?

Also....I I may have overinvested in 3 utilities all of which read these temps identically....but logically, we might focus on the disparity re before I installed the second drive yesterday....those readings... and after. As opposed, that is....to the numbers per se.

If installing the seocnd drive upped the temps by 10C....is that not cause for alarm simply on a percentage basis?

Finally, I just posted a humilatintg discovery re the actual specs on my PSU....the reality might account for this whole thing, given I thought it was far better than it really is.

All this help is deeply appreciated....I know I will find a way to put this right. And without a Dremel tool. Though I do have one. lol:eek:

I am waiting to hear back from the pundits re incorporating the pathetic reality of my PSU re my problem, but I Googled and found this splendid thing for a truly sickening price....but I will if it will make a huge difference and stop me from keeping one nervous eye on the temps on W taskbar:
    http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47D

O Goody! Here...it's on sale!
    http://store.pcpowerzone.com/pcpocosi470d.html

Let's seeee.....wut will I buy for the two dollars I would save?;) A Corvette" An iphone? A MAC?:D

I will chill and await expert feedback, but I so think I need this and it will solve everythng starting with my little Global (not) Warming crisis. Unless it wouldn't.

I will now do the thermometer thingy.

Another edit:

I Googled more, discovered that XP Pro, as it is with my mobo turning off one internal drive and not the other is not an option.
    Then....I came upon this strangeness:

http://revosleep.realspooky.de/

Did anyone ever hear of this? If this works and I might turn off my backup drive without harming anything....turn it back on for my occasional incremental updates to my backup drive....it would B amazing. Also save me $100.

Orrr....it could fry my entire system. Strange sites with phantom utilities & odd music tracks.....U gotta B real careful.

13. Ariesjill

Update...(do not mean to bore everyone into oblivion):

Sometimes I like to live dangerously. So I could not resist the strange new utility with the music track, though it is Beta with the usual ominous warnings... which can put a HDD to sleep and wake it up at will. As if by magic, even within XP Pro.

The downloaded file would not open given it was a rar file... without my getting the thingy which opens those.
    Which I did.

It installed. Nothng blew up. I ran it, chose my new E drive to put to sleep. It worked. OMG. Still, nothing blew up. I made a screenie of this new strangness and will attach.

Just 2 make sure I wasn't hallucinating I looked in Disk Mgr. By God, only my main drive appeared!

One thing though....I kept waiting for the HDD temp to plummet. It diminished, but not to under 40C....even if the sensors cost $.02 and are merde and if U went to MIT and U die of laughter.... Lower is better than higher, OK?

So anyone who wants to try this new strangeness...I think it's safe. I did not hurt anything here. I also woke the drive up. Got balloon saying, we R waking the E drive up; give us a second. It awakened. I wondered if this, the wake it up function.... might work for Geo Bush:eek: . But I am often a leeetle 2 optimistic.;)

Now...I Googled more and see I can find an OEM PSU, 305W which I thought I HAD....FOR ALMOST NO MONEY. Like $30.

THAT IS NOW ANOTHER OPTION. But....if the PSU is the issue---I will wait for decision from experts here-- I should go nuts and get the 400W I think....esp if I install my lightscribe-endabled optical drive as second optical drive. In the open slot in the optical bay. On the IDE cable.

I also found article breaking down PSU usage by all components....and even without a Gforce or Jillforce video card....with my nothing PSU, the new drive really could have stressed things out...even my having doubled my ram ate a little up, 15W (wut?) I will now paste this:

Power Usage
    Power Supplies: How Much Power Do You Need?

Component Requirement
    AGP Video Card 30W – 50W
    PCI Express Video 100W – 225W
    Average PCI Card 5W – 10W
    DVD/CD 20W – 30W
    Hard Drive 15W – 30W
    Case/CPU Fans 3W (ea.)
    Motherboard (w/o CPU or RAM) 50W – 100W
    RAM 15W per 1GB
    Pentium III Processor 40W
    Pentium 4 Processor 80W – 125W
    AMD Athlon Processor 80W – 125W

For overall power supply wattage, add the requirement for each device in your system, then multiply by 1.5. (The multiplier takes into account that today’s systems draw disproportionally on the +12V output. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.)

Is everyone exhausted? I am too.

Attaching screenie showing interface of strange new utility.

Jill

Attached Files:

• OMG.JPG
      OMG.JPG
      File size:
      180.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Ariesjill

Update FYI:

1) Having discovered the Less Than PSU....the vendor listed it at 305 and I just never looked at the sticker, why would I? I commenced my usual troubleshooting research thingy.

2) Not only did I unearth that above (link pasted) precious, unique utility from some foreign place---Revosleep--- which, unlike anything in XP including Power Management .....allows us to put to sleep any spare drive or drives ujtil we choose to wake it or them up it's amazing and tiny litttle footprint.....and now that only one of my two drives is active and spinning--I engage the utility right after I boot into whichever drive (XXclone give U a choice after logo/bios)....this is helping my temps in the interim. Even someone wiith NO ISSUES having more than one HDD should totally get this! ...cause....

3)...I Googled, &.unlike what i was told, drives spin ongoing when they get activated and spin up. Doesn't matter if they r being wirtten to or writing or NOT....drives spin; they do this for a living. It is their modus viviendi. So....

3a)....having this little utility saves our drives! Why have two or three spnning....when we R working in ONE?:)

4) Then, some dear guy I know with much experience, after I sent him detailed specs/measurements on my PSU....said, it is standard ATX! Yea! He then hooked me up with this fab site where savvy techies get things for amazing prices....recommended one PSU specifically which I bought...pls C PDF doc I will attach.

5) I ran the amazing option in Speed Fan where it goes online and reads and assesses everything you ever wanted to know about yr drives. I discovered, 1) My bigger WD which is their YS line....sturdy...endures temps up to 66C!!!! For Real. Also it is 95% healthy and 100% functional. but 2) My brand new smaller WD from Newegg...made only last month, but OK, in a basement in Thailand.... has LOWER TOLERNCE:eek: AND MAXES OUT UNDER 40C! iT ALSO SAID THE new one is only 90% healthy.
    I know. It's a utility and I should not stress. But all this was fascinating.

So I am better with my temps because of the cute utility and will wait until the new PSU arrives, install it and I can't wait to C the result....hopefully the Real Fix.

I will post final report....and bore everyone even more! (I hope not.)

Jill

PS the PDF invoice has my persoal data so had to make screenie and cut a section to attach. I can't paste a link to the item cause it was one to a customer and I can not access now from my systems cause I bought my one. My friend says he gets these a lot for clients....they R amazing and they have never failed him.

This is the site: mwave.com

Attached Files:

15. Ariesjill

I installed the fab new PSU. It made all the difference; my two HDDs now running at proper temps. Cept I wanna remove some of the gazillion, useless wires the enw unit has, and I made new thread to ask about this.

Also, this little Revosleep free utility I unearthed (link above in earlier post) is amazing. It works. I think it is from Germany. To get it, U will need one of the free RAR programs cause that is how they compressed it. It puts the drives not in active use to sleep.

In my case, when both awake they run around 40C; with only botted into drive awake it runs at between 35 & 37C.

I observe....in these little issues....we often find thngs, i.e., Revosleep, we would not have had we not had the issue!
    J.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice