1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved HDMI Cable Causes Computer to Stutter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GirlsCanTechToo, Jun 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. GirlsCanTechToo

GirlsCanTechToo Thread Starter

This one is really baffling me. I've read numerous posts on the internet and this forum about computer stuttering issues, but this one is really strange.

Computer Specs:
    HP Pavilion Gaming Computer 690-0034
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 16
    RAM: 16303 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon(TM) RX 580, -1 Mb
    Motherboard: HP, 8433

I set up this new computer as my primary desktop 2 weeks ago. The only upgrade I have performed so far is to upgrade to Win10 Pro. I intend to add additional hard drive space and upgrade the memory to 32 GB.

The computer sits on the side of my desk. I have two 24 in monitors connected to it - one by HDMI and one by DP to HDMI.

The monitor that is connected via the HDMI port on the graphics card is on the opposite side of my desk from the computer tower. I originally hooked it up with a 3 ft. HDMI cable, but it could barely reach, and the cord was tight enough that I couldn't adjust my monitor position when I wanted to. I purchased a 10 ft. HDMI cable and hooked it up to solve this problem.

At about the same time, there were a couple of updates that my computer performed, so I couldn't figure out what was suddenly causing it to stutter every 2-3 seconds. After several hours of research, reading, driver updates, disabling Realtek Audio, and even reinstalling Windows, the problem remained.

Then I came across something that made me thing it could be the cable. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the video card so that the only connection with the DP to HDMI cable. Voila! The problem went away, and no more stuttering. Then I plugged the HDMI cable in, within 30 seconds, the problem resumed. This was never a problem with the 3 ft. HDMI cable.

Here's the even more interesting part. The computer is on the left side of my desk. The monitor connected by HDMI is on the right. The monitor on the left is connected via the DP to HDMI cable, and it is my secondary monitor when I need two displays. As this monitor has 2 HDMI ports, the second one is hooked up to a Roku so I can stream video when I am only needing one display. Therefore, I turn the monitor off when I am not using it, as the power settings on my computer turn off the displays after 15 minutes, and I don't want the secondary monitor "changing channels" when the signal is lost and playing the Roku screen saver. It lights up the whole room at night.

I noticed that when I turn off the secondary display, the stuttering starts again, but when it is on, no problems. The mouse tracks smoothly, keystrokes keep up with my typing, video streams smoothly in the web browser.

Why would the computer require both monitors to be powered on to prevent stuttering like this?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion 690-0034 Gaming Desktop PC (support site)

Be patient until one or more of the hardware experts here jump in to assist you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

It is possible the HDMI cable is bad, I bought 10' online and when I tried to use it from my laptop to my TV all I got was static on the screen. Stole one off a cable box and it worked fine. Ended up throwing it a way would have cost more to RMA it, It was a Roswell brand.
    What is the brand and model number of your 580 card? OK, its HP came with the computer.
    Found some info about DP to HDMI, Have you tried moving the DP to HDMI cable to another DP port?
    From: https://www.exhibitedge.com/how-to-connect-a-displayport-device-to-a-hdmi-monitor/
    "If the DisplayPort output is a Dual mode DisplayPort then it has the ability to recognize and adjust the signal to HDMI when a passive adapter cable is connected. I mentioned this in an earlier video and said that I got lucky. I bought a passive adapter cable and it worked. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won’t. If the DisplayPort graphics card is only a single mode DisplayPort then you must use an active adapter or converter.

So how can I be sure if my DisplayPort is a single mode or a dual mode port? Basically a dual mode DisplayPort will have a mark near the port that says DP++ or DisplayPort ++."

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  4. lynx1021

lynx1021

What resolution are you running on your monitors?

5. GirlsCanTechToo

Both monitors, which are the exact same model number, are 1920 x 1080, native resolution.

6. GirlsCanTechToo

lynx 1021, your response was insightful. I had not heard of this problem, but it does make sense. However, the article/video is from 2014, and given the prevalence of HDMI displays, I wonder whether it isn't a common practice today for all DP ports. Our company regularly sets up new workstations that have DP ports, and we have to purchase these converter cables all of the time.

The HDMI cable appears to be good. It's an Amazon Basics 10' cable that I purchased recently. In the past, I have had good experiences with this brand, so I didn't hesitate to buy this one. Since the monitor connected to it does work properly when the DP to HDMI monitor is turned on, it seems logical that the cable is good.

I tried plugging the DP to HDMI cable into each of the other 3 ports available for this connection (video card supports up to 4 displays). The problem is exactly the same regardless of the port.

Naturally, my card has to be different. The ports are not labeled on this video card. There is no inscription to indicate HDMI, DP, or if it were present, DP + or DP ++.

I checked out AMD's website to see if it specified - it did not, either for the RX 580 or the RX 580 OEM.
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-580

As this is a Best Buy computer, I scanned the listing page for the product, including the reviews - nothing.

If this is the problem, it looks like I can get one of these for about $10 on Amazon. However, I'm still wondering if this could be caused by any other factors.

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

We use Dell equipment at work. It seems that all the Dell monitors have Display port. I have 2-24" dell monitors and a laptop on a docking station, one monitor using DP the other DVI. The only other thing I can think of is for you to try a 6' HDMI cable. My new 27" LG monitor I got earlier this year has VGA,DP and HDMI.

8. GirlsCanTechToo

I actually just ordered a 6' HDMI cable yesterday. I have had issues in the past with very long video cables, regardless of the connection type, causing various issues. This may have to due with lower-quality cables, but I'm hoping this will make a difference. I'll find out this weekend.

9. GirlsCanTechToo

Well, this didn't work either. I replaced the 10' HDMI cable with a 6' one, and the problem remains. As both monitors have dual-hdmi channels, I tried switching those too, but nope. I tried making the left side monitor the primary one, and then turned off the power to right side one. THIS did work, so I can only guess that the only way I can overcome this is to buy another DP to HDMI cable and not use the HDMI port on this video card.

Any other suggestions are welcome, as I would rather not have to buy another cable.

10. GirlsCanTechToo

Well, for anyone who is interested, I finally solved the problem. I can't tell you why this worked, only that it did.

As mentioned, this computer has an AMD RX580 graphics card. This card has one HDMI port and three DP ports. I have two monitors on my desk, and I use the right one as my primary. Both monitors also have two HDMI ports, so my secondary one has a Roku hooked into it so I can stream when my work only requires one monitor. The right monitor is also further away from my computer, which is on the left side of the desk (and the other side is not available). When not using the second monitor, I turn it off because otherwise when the screens turn off based on my power settings, the second monitor flips to the second "channel" which is the Roku screen saver. Doing this lights up the whole room at night.

Since I had the same behavior with the 10' and 6' HDMI cables, I ruled out cable length. I finally decided I would have to try using only the DP ports, and leave the HDMI port on the video card out of the mix. If looking at the back of the computer, the port layout is HDMI | DP | DP | DP. I bought a small adapter (which was cheaper, and I've spent enough on cables), which I plugged into the the HDMI cable and then into the port next to the HDMI port on the card (the second port from left to right). I moved the DP to HDMI cable over one spot to the 3rd port (the middle DP port).

Problem remains.

Finally, I tried switching the ports that the cables were plugged into, so one cable moved from the second port to the third port, and the other cable moved from the third port to the second port.

I have zero idea why, but this works! I can now work with the right monitor on and the left one off.

If anyone has any idea why, I would love to know!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice