1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDMI Cable Question

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by jeyges, Jul 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeyges

jeyges Thread Starter

I just bought a 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) TV, with 120Hz refresh rate. I ordered two HDMI cables - one supports 4K video at 24 Hz, 1080p at 60 Hz, 48-bit color, bandwidth 10.2 Gbps. The other supports 4K video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48-bit color, bandwidth 18 Gbps. Do I need the more expensive cable?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check your video sources and match the HDMI cable to the maximum resoution and frame rate of each source.

Also, double-check the TV specifications. The display panel may be able to refresh at 120 Hz but the TV may only support 60 Hz video frame rates. Some high end 4K gaming monitors can display 4K 120 Hz video rates and they are very expensive. They also require a video controller in the computer that can support that rate.

3. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Monoprice sells 4k HDMI cables for less than $10.

What are you connecting the TV to? Is it a 4k device?

4. jeyges

jeyges Thread Starter

The web page says "Effective Refresh Rate" of 120 Hz, but I looked at the owner's manual and it says 60 HZ, so I imagine that is what's going on.

5. jeyges

jeyges Thread Starter

HD cable box from Xfinity.

6. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
  7. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    The Xfinity cable box has to support 4k or you won't see 4k video on the TV.

8. jeyges

jeyges Thread Starter

9. jeyges

jeyges Thread Starter

I understand - but none of this answers my original question.

10. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    To get the best output, the cable and the input device should have the same specs.

11. 2twenty2

2twenty2

https://www.howtogeek.com/309251/DO-I-NEED-NEW-HDMI-CABLES-AND-GEAR-FOR-MY-NEW-TV/

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice