1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hdmi dvi adapter question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raptor6847, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raptor6847

raptor6847 Thread Starter

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I believe it has to do with the pins around the "blade" pin. Which I think are for the analog video signal.

3. raptor6847

ok. I found out that the +5m adapter has 4 pins around the "blade" pin, and my monitory doesnt have that so i wont be getting that one. thanks

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Any particular reason you are using a HDMI cable with this adaptor?

From what you have said I would assume that your graphics card has HDMI output but your monitor only has DVI, however I would also assume that your graphics card has a DVI output aswell as the HDMI? If that is the case, then I would just use a standard DVI - DVI cable. There is no benefit to using HDMI over DVI just for video (even if there was, you would probably loose that benefit by converting to DVI anyway), infact I would suggest that by using the adaptor there is a chance (albeit quite a remote chance) you could reduce the quality because the extra connection will create additional resistance along the line.

5. raptor6847

actually, im using it for my laptop. my laptop has a vga and an hdmi port, while my monitor only has vga and dvi-d ports.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/998867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice