1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDMI from Laptop will no longer connect to HDTV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darxtarlit, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darxtarlit

Darxtarlit Thread Starter

Hi there. I have a problem that just presented itself in the last 24 hours. I have previously connected my laptop computer to my HDTV via the HDMI port on a regular basis but randomly as of last night my laptop will no longer acknowledge that the HDMI is connected to the HDTV. I have tested 2 different HDMI cables to be sure they are working properly as well as all 3 ports on my HDTV and made sure the TV was on the correct input. I have not done any updates/installations/uninstalls/deletions/resolutions changes or anything else that could have prompted this issue. I double checked my graphics card drivers, which were out of date but I was able to update them. I have cleaned my registry, did a system restore, checked for viruses/malware/spyware, power drained, and rebooted multiple times.

On, what I would call, a related note... The online game that I play has also started having problems when I run it. This started the exact same time that my laptop's HDMI would no longer connect to my HDTV, hense the belief of relation. The game has become extremely laggy dropping me down to 2-3 fps. I can drop my video settings down to minimum and be lag free, however, I have been playing the game on this same laptop for 8 months on the highest ultra settings with absolutely no problems until whatever occurred last night.

These 2 things lead me to believe it is a graphics card problem. I am currently running NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G. As I said before, I have updated to the most recent drivers (280.26) and according to NVIDIA's control panel there is nothing wrong.

I'm at a loss what to do from here. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to forgo wiping and re-installing Windows 7, so other suggestions would be nice. Please help! Thanks.

System:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G
    Alienware M17x
    Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice