Solved HDMI Laptop to Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Moonfish

Think this is an Easy Question to answer:

The hinges that support my laptop to its monitor have cracked and now the monitor has to be propped up with a back-support to function properly.

I was thinking if I disengaged the monitor from the keyboard - cut the two wires going to the monitor and seal the ends with black electric tape - could I then connect the laptop to my HD TV. That way, I could use the laptop to store all my movies and watch on my TV.

Any problems with this idea or would it work?

Any advise from you folks would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Goodwin

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi Mark, and welcome to TSG.

Some, but not necessarily all, things to consider before removing the lid with built-in display.

* Does the laptop automatically detect and use the external display on power-up or do you need to do something on a menu that only shows on the built-in display?

*Does the boot up sequence show up on the external display and allow you to enter and edit the BIOS settings using the external display? If not how would you be able to ever change the BIOS settings or see any failures during the Power On Self Test (POST)?

* You need to make sure that the external display duplicates the contents of the built-in screen or will always be the primary desktop screen. Otherwise, the task bar and items on the desktop will not show up on the external monitor.

* If the laptop has built-in WiFi the antenna(s) may be located in the lid. You would need to rig up some kind of D.I.Y. antenna for the existing WiFi hardware or use a USB WiFi adapter.

* There may be a switch in the hinge mechanism that detects when the lid is closed in order to permit automatic switching to a power saving mode. You need to make sure the switch wiring is set to indicate an open lid position.

* Rather than just cutting and taping all the cables from the base to the lid, it may be better to unplug them from the motherboard. You'll probably need to open up the base to get to the lid hinges and may as well unplug the cables at that point.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Moved to Hardware.

Unplugging the cables is the smarter and safer option. And then you avoid possibly having some of the dozens of little wires in the LCD cable or other cables shorting together and damaging the rest of the laptop. Whst looks like two cables is actually dozens of little wires. Also the above post is correct, there's usually other things in the lid such as a webcam, microphone, wireless, Bluetooth, and maybe more. You may not want to just cut those either.

Have you priced out new hinges? The last ones I ordered were $10 and it took about half an hour to swap them out.

dmccoy

Darrin
I may be missing something here, but if you do not want to fix your hinges as Rob mentioned and you just want to use the laptop for storing movies and watching tv, etc. You can set your laptop to not power down or sleep with the lid closed. Then use some type of remote desktop software or app to control your laptop.

managed

Allan
Since the TV will take the place of the laptop's screen you could start/control the movie using the laptop's own keyboard.

Provided the laptop, in it's present state, gives a good display on the TV you shouldn't need to dismantle it at all.

As already said replacing the hinge isn't hard if you are good with your hands.

Moonfish

Not sure how this thready system works but I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my question. It's nice to know people will share their time with others. You've given me lots to think about - some of it a bit too technical for me - but nevertheless it will all help me decide what to do.

cwwozniak

Chuck
You're welcome. Hope you are able to work out a satisfactory solution.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online