1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDMI not sending signal - internal monitor heavily distorted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gilsy08, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gilsy08

gilsy08 Thread Starter

Hi there. For some reason all of a sudden, when plugging in my external display as usual using HDMI, not only did the external display not display anything (the message 'Power Saving Mode On' came up and the screen goes on standby) I was then left with just the internal monitor which was heavily distorted and everything was overlayed by a grid of small squares. I tried unplugging the monitor, reconnecting the HDMI, restarting my laptop with the cable attatched and then without, all to no avail. The only thing that I found to work was when I reconnected the HDMI cable (with the external still blank) I managed to get onto the Display > Screen Resolution screen and chose 'Duplicate these displays' option which has made my internal monitor work again but I still get no joy whatsoever from my external and when I unplug the HDMI, the internal monitor flicks blank and then reverts to being heavily distorted again.

A very bizarre problem !! Please pleae help! Many thanks in advance

My laptop is : HP Pavilion DV6 - 2112sa

O/S : Windows 7 64 bit

PS. I have tried my friends external monitor with a different cable and I still get an identical problem.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

Update/reinstall the video drivers. Use the latest version available from HP.

3. gilsy08

gilsy08 Thread Starter

Hi thanks for your reply - could you give me a pointer of the best way to do that? Cheers

4. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

The video drivers for your model should be listed on the website. Simply download the drivers and run the installation program.

5. gilsy08

gilsy08 Thread Starter

Sorry - which website are referring to ?? thanks

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

7. gilsy08

gilsy08 Thread Starter

No joy :-(

8. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You didn't find the driver? It didn't install? Or it didn't fix the problem? Did you uninstall the old driver first before installing the new one using "Programs & Features" in the "Control Panel"?

9. gilsy08

gilsy08 Thread Starter

(Sorry for the delayed response)

I found what I thought to be the driver on the website (ATI Radeon Graphics Driver) I didn't uninstall first- i assumed the newly downloaded driver would overwrite/uninstall the old one automatically, would you recomend un-installing the driver first? (I was just slightly worried uninstalling the said driver would disable my laptop screen?)

10. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You should still have basic output on the internal LCD when you uninstall the drivers.

11. gilsy08

gilsy08 Thread Starter

Ok I've gone into device manager, unistalled ATI. I am prompted to reboot, upon doing so it then searches for drivers and when it finds the ATI driver I am prompted once more to reboot. When I do so, I am back to square one :-( Any ideas??

12. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

13. gilsy08

gilsy08 Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try these. Would I need to uninstall my existing driver first?

and yes - by 'back to square one' I meant that the problem still persists

Thanks again for your guidance

14. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Windows will install its own drivers if it has them or download and install a driver via Windows Update if it has one there. The driver you uninstalled would be the HP or AMD provided drivers, also uninstalling it clears out any settings before a new driver get installed.

You can probably install the driver over top of the current driver.

It may be that the graphics chip is failing and thats why its giving you trouble.

15. gilsy08

gilsy08 Thread Starter

OK, tried the generic AMD drivers, but no joy still :-( Would you say I am more likely to faced with a hardware issue then ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057971