1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDMI not showing up in Playback devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gwyds, Mar 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. gwyds

gwyds Thread Starter

I cannot get sound through my hdmi, from my laptop to Samsung tv, picture is fine but sound only coms via laptop.

I've exhausted all troubleshooting avenues, including, " show disabled devices" got a new hdmi, checked for windows update, it just doesn't show up and I can't get sound from the laptop to tv, any help appreciated.

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Control Panel ---> Sound

Do you see the HDMI ?
    If you do, set it as "Default" so when the HDMI is connected, it becomes the Default Output device and when it is removed, the system reverts to Laptop speakers.

3. gwyds

gwyds Thread Starter

Hi, no it does not show at all, it was working seamlessly before, but all of a sudden no sound and disappeared from playback devices.

Thoughts?

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Disconnect the HDMI at both ends. Reconnect and verify full insertion at both ends.

5. gwyds

gwyds Thread Starter

Already done that, the picture is faultless

6. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Do you have another HDMI cable to try ?

7. gwyds

gwyds Thread Starter

tried two different ones, no luck

8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    That's all I have for now.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It's going to take me awhile to find exactly where I filed my notes. We have 2 Acer laptops, running 64 bit Windows 7 Home. I connected both, one at a time by HDMI to our tv. One worked and the other did not. No option for sound was shown.

It was because one had an AMD CPU and the other had an Intel CPU.

I'll be back - once I either find my notes or track down a long thread on a forum where I got help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Traced my thread
    The troublesome one (Intel) doesn't offer anything but speakers as the only playback option. Everything else is grayed out:Configure, Set Default, Properties

Solution after trying lots of things: in Device Manager disable Intel Display Audio, scan the computer and select High Definition Audio Device.

Once that's done, HDMI is a playback choice.

For me: I plugged the HDMI cable in and the HDMI generic was replaced with Philips (my tv). I had to select it as the default device. It doesn't switch immediately as it does on the other netbook but that's minor. I tested with a short video I have and the sound comes through the tv.

If your chip is NOT Intel, then I'm not sure what to tell you to do.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  10. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    If it is not showing up. Perhaps it ios a problem with Plug 'n Playing the Video Chip-set realted audio drivers.

@gwyds
    What is the Make and Model of the laptop in question ?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice