1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDMI Splitter Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scandypandy, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scandypandy

scandypandy Thread Starter

I am having issues with an HDMI Splitter-specifically, I'm unsure if I'm using it correctly!

My setup is the following;
    -Desktop PC
    -Two monitors (one to GPU, the other to Motherboard)

I sometimes like to display my Main Monitor (GPU) to my television, situated on the wall above the desk. A friend suggested I use an HDMI splitter to duplicate the signal.
    I borrowed one from another friend to try it.

The HDMI splitter is plugged via USB into my computer, required to power it.
    The input is connected to my GPU via an HDMI cable.
    My main monitor is connected to output 1 via an HDMI cable.
    My television is connected to output 2 via an HDMI Cable.
    The second monitor remains connected to the motherboard via HDMI.

When I boot the computer with all three displays on, it initially behaves as normal.
    The display of the boot logo and (if opened) the boot menu are shown both on my main monitor and television.
    However when I then fully boot the PC, my desktop is only shown on my two monitors and the Television reports that it has No Signal.

I'm using Windows 10.
    Just curious as to whether I'm doing something wrong, or if the HDMI Splitter isn't what I need for the job!
    Cheers.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi scandypandy, and welcome to TSG.

It sounds like when Windows finally starts up it is running a display resolution and/or refresh rate that is supported by the main monitor, but not the television. If the television works OK when booting up the computer with the television connected directly to the GPU output, the controller is probably polling the television to determine supported resolutions and refresh rates. It then adjusts itself to work with the television. The HDMI splitter may only allow the GPU to read the settings of the device connected to input #1. Try swapping the connections on the HDMI splitter's outputs.

3. scandypandy

scandypandy Thread Starter

That sounds right. I should have mentioned, by Main monitor is ultra-wide, that could cause the issue?
    I'll swap them over, swap the inputs, and see where that takes me.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A basic HDMI splitter will feed the exact same video to both outputs. Yes, the HDMI inputs on some HDTV televisions my be able to accept a limited range of non-broadcast HDTV resolutions and scale them to fit the screen but may be unable to handle anything too far out of range like an ultrawide format that goes beyond the HDTV 16:9 ratio.

EDIT: You may need to power cycle the computer if you swap outputs on the splitter. It depends on when the GPU checks for what the attached monitor can support.

If the TV and monitor both work at the same time when you swap them, you will probably find the ultrawide monitor running at a much lower resolution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice