HDMI Splitting then extending issue

jamelong

I am trying to extend a HDMI over Cat6 cable, but after splitting the HDMI signal into 2 (ie one signal after spitting will be extended via Cat6).
The individual hardware works when set up on its own, but when trying to split then extend, the connection does not work.

ie i can split the signal into two and that works,
ie can extend the signal and that works, using the parts I have
But together they don't work.

Is there a lack of power that would restrict this setup?
I have noticed that there may be brief flashes of signal when the full setup is plugged in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks in advance.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It may be difficult for anyone here to help you without knowing the manufacturers and model numbers of all the hardware involved.

jamelong

The hardware im using is:

Neoteck 60m HDMI Extender 4K 3D HDMI Repeater with IR Remote HDMI Ethernet Network Extender

and

Neet - 2 Way HDMI SPLITTER BOX 1x2 Port HDMI 2.0 4k / 60 Hz

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thank you for the hardware details.

I am finding mixed reviews for some models of the Neoteck extenders and some reviewers reporting no video output even though the link light is lit. Is yours a model NTKHE060 extender? I have not been able to find reviews for that particular model.

Is the model number of your Neet splitter N-SP12E-4K60CP? I am seeing good reviews for it.

Does your TV normally show an on-screen message about a missing HDMI signal if there is no active HDMI video signal on a selected HDMI port? If so, is that happening when using both the splitter and extender combination and the screen is black?

How long is the CAT6 cable run?

Are you using the same TVs and HDMI inputs for all your testing?

Have you tried swapping connections to the outputs of the splitter?

What video resolution are you using?

jamelong

I have replied inline:

Is the model number of your Neet splitter N-SP12E-4K60CP? I am seeing good reviews for it.
-Yes it is.

Does your TV normally show an on-screen message about a missing HDMI signal if there is no active HDMI video signal on a selected HDMI port? If so, is that happening when using both the splitter and extender combination and the screen is black?
- it does not have a prompt about missing signal, just black. I will try on another TV to check this again.

How long is the CAT6 cable run?
- at the moment I have been testing before sending over a long distance, so 1m.

Are you using the same TVs and HDMI inputs for all your testing?
-I am only testing the splitting on 1 TV at the moment, and using the same inputs on that TV.

Have you tried swapping connections to the outputs of the splitter?
-I will test that today

What video resolution are you using?
-back of a SKY+ box so HD 1080
Hope this helps, thanks for your assistance.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Does the testing TV have more than one HDMI input? If so, are you feeding one input directly from the splitter and at the same time connecting another input from the other output of the splitter and going through the extender?

If the above assumption is correct, does the TV work correctly on both inputs if you remove the extender and use a direct HDMI connection to the splitter?

One of the web sites I previously found selling different models of the Neotech included something about a minimum length for the CAT6 cable in the product description. Would you be able to test with a much longer cable, like maybe 10 meters or more?

jamelong

The TV does have 2 inputs, but im only using one to test.
I have found the issue when testing the hardware using a small scale setup; it was then that i found the issue.

The TV works on both inputs and i have tried both.

Both bits of hardware work great on their own, but it is when they are used together that the signal fails.

I can try with a longer cable, but the extender works fine when used on its own with a 1m cable.
Many thanks for your help

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
My asking about using two HDMI inputs on the TV at the same had to do with my thinking that there may be an issue with how High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) was being handled by the splitter and the repeater. With the splitter and repeater connected and the TV connected to splitter output #1, the splitter may only use output #1 for handling DHCP handshaking with the Sky box. Disconnecting the TV from splitter output #1 would lose the handshaking and maybe trigger the Sky box to go to a black screen output.

jamelong

Hi, thanks for your response, I have tried with 2 tvs and checked all configurations, and tried changing the outputting single to an apple TV. Gives the same response (works individually but not together)

I have attached a picture as you mentioned the sky box is giving this error when the range extender is attached "This display does not support HDCP"

However the apple TV got the same no signal when both extender and splitter were attached.
(there is no signal, not a black screen as suggested)

Many thanks

Attachments

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It looks like we have confirmed that there is a DHCP handshaking issue when using both devices as you intend to use them.

I am not familiar with the details of how the splitter is handling the DHCP communications with the sky box. Does it do its own handshaking with the sky box and then a separate DHCP handshake with each device on its output or does it pass the handshaking communications from the sky box to the device on one of its outputs. The same applies to the extender. Does its transmitter do the handshake with the sky box and the receiver does a separate handshake with the TV or does it just pass the handshaking communications from the TV to the sky box?

Does the sky box show the error if the splitter is connected to the sky box and nothing connected to its outputs? If not, do you get the error if you then attach the repeater to the splitter, but do not connect anything to the repeater's HDMI output?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online