1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDMI suddenly stopped working.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ImmortalSpam, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImmortalSpam

ImmortalSpam Thread Starter

I have a duel monitor setup where one was plugged into HDMI and the other into VGA. Both were running off of my NVIDIA graphics card (i also have Intel 4000 Graphics which came with my processor but is not in use).
    When playing a game - my HDMI monitor just shut off. My VGA continuing to work.
    I have tried many things such as reinstalling drivers but nothing has seemed to work. My Intel 4000 Graphics are failing to work also. I am yet to look inside of my PC to see if anything has moved out of place.
    I've tried googling and I've found nothing of use. If anyone has a solution that would be great! - P.S I'm new to the forums :p

2. Nolukjustskil

Nolukjustskil

well to help move things along, ill ask the question to help other people that know more about this stuff. they will want to know your specs of ur pc (prob just the gpu, but doesnt hurt to have all) and the monitors you are using. also have u tried just running the hdmi monitor w/o the vga moniter connected? and have you looked in your settings to see if the monitor is even still active? might of hit a combo of keys and shut down that monitor.

3. ImmortalSpam

I've checked and the second monitor isn't been detected - with or without the VGA plugged in - the HDMI still doesn't work. One of the monitors (my HDMI one) is supposedly more of a TV. It's Toshiba, I don't know the model. And the other monitor I don't know anything about, it was given to me by a friend. I can use either one with the VGA but the HDMI just won't work.

PC Specs -

CPU: Intel i3 4160 3.60GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 740 (EVGA)

4. Nolukjustskil

Nolukjustskil

can you try the tv on something else? if say a cable box doesnt work on it then its the tv/hdmi cable

5. ImmortalSpam

Well as I said, the TV can work with the VGA - but not the HDMI. Maybe it is the cable that is faulty.

EDIT: The cable works fine with my Xbox so it can't be that.

6. Nolukjustskil

Nolukjustskil

well without trying both cable and hdmi port on another source we dont know what the final issue is. and testing it on another source helps remove those possiblities

7. ImmortalSpam

I will try to test the computers HDMI port with somebody else's monitor.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!