1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved HDMI to TV. No picture when both cable and port working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vita, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vita

vita Thread Starter

Hello,

Couldn't find any similar problems online.

I am trying to connect my Desktop computer to the TV in the next room by a 5 meter HDMI cable, I got no picture.

The same 5 meter HDMI cable (no name brand, not sure if relevant), works on a old laptop when connected to TV, so I assume the cable is working (didn't touch any settings).

Then I connected an 0.5 Meter HDMI cable between the Desktop and TV, and it is working perfectly too (again, didn't touch anything setting), so I assume the Desktop HDMI port is working as well.

Any ideas on why the 5 meter cable fail, where as the shorter one does work? Is it possible that the Desktop video-card is not sending a strong enough signal for the 5 meter cable? I am thinking of getting a new Desktop, will a newer/stronger video-card solve this issue?

Sorry that I am a bit vague on the question.

Thanks, V

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Its possible. Some video cards, esp onboard gpu's don't provide enough power to send a HDMI signal that far.

3. vita

vita Thread Starter

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was possible for HDMI to lose signal strength at that distance. I will try again once I got the new desktop. Thanks again.

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Sure. Good Luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice