1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDMI to USB or Composite Cables to USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jn668, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

The problem is that I want to try recording gameplay on a PS3 but I want a Composite Cables to USB converter or a HDMI to USB converter. I can plug the usb part to the computer or laptop and record from there. Will it work or not? My other question is that would it be in the same quality as a PS3. If anyone know more about this please respond.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

Would it still remain quality though? If I put it into a laptop will it automatically show the PS3 screen into the laptop or do I have to use software to show the PS3 screen onto the laptop.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to use the software that comes with it. Quality shouldn't be too bad considering the small size of the laptop screen. It won't be HD as you'd need component or DVI/HMDI and I do not believe such a device exists in USB or that USB could handle that.

5. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

Thanks and how much are capture cards usually. I think there are around 40$ right.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup around there, I have a link in my first post to several.

7. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

So there isn't any hdmi to usb converter like hdmi cable that goes to the capture card and usb cord connects to the computer only composite to usb right. If so they should make a hdmi to usb converter for gaming.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It may not be possible or economical. USB 2.0 isn't the greatest interface for video and even PCI cards that do HDMI capture/input are rare and cost more. And the gaming market that records their game play with a laptop requiring a USB version is extremely small.

9. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

How about computer. Would it be converterable if we put HDMI to VGI. I think that is possible right.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In a desktop system you would get a PCI or PCI-Express capture card. AverMedia and BlackMagic both make cards with HDMI inputs.

11. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

What is a PCI capture card and what does PCI stand for.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    PCI & PCI-Express are two internal slot types found in desktop computers.

A capture card is the device that takes an input from an outside source and allows it to be used with a computer.

13. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

I read that PCI is usually intergrated in the motherboard now but there are expansion slots for PCI. I looked at some expansion slots and I thought they kind of looked like where you would put RAM.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I think I know what to do now. There a few capture cards that I like and will probaly use. I think the composite capture card is the best since there is no hdmi to usb converter and the only way to record with hdmi is using PCI I think. If that is the case the best choice is the composite capture card. I will try to look for a hdmi to usb capture card even though they don't make one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice