1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDTune

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vivienne, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi

Using the HEALTH tab in HDTune, it shows that health (SMART) is n/a.

Would anyone know if there is a reason that the harddrive is not read ?

Thanks.

Vivienne

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

I don't know anything about HDTune, but you can see if SMART is available and enabled by going into your BIOS. If you post your hard drive I might be able to find if SMART is available for it.

SMART stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology just to let you know. If SMART isn't available for your hard drive, then it doesn't mean that it's not being read.

3. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Tacoman:

Thanks for your reply. SMART is available for my harddrive as Speedfan can read it. The tech that we use to help us said because HDTune could not read it, then Speedfan is not reading it properly and cannot be relied on. He went to say because we have a Promise Raid Controller (not set up as RAID) nothing would be able to read it properly. I found that hard to believe and was hoping that someone could help me out in getting HDTune to work.

Vivienne

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I believe he is correct. The SMART data can only be read if the drive is connected to the board directly. External drives are not readable, either.

5. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Elvandil:

He also said that the Western Digital Diagnostic Utility does not recognize the drive either -something about a cable being disconnected. If this is all so, how can one test the harddrive reliably ?

Thanks!

Vivienne

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice