1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDTV issues

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by racie, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racie

racie Thread Starter

Hey guys, so lately I've been having troubles with my HDTV and it's getting progressively worse. I have a somewhat off-brand TV, as it is a Haier. It's a small one, measuring around 18-20''.

So here's the issue: After being off for a few hours, I try to turn on my TV. It attempts to start, but I get a flickering no signal screen (the no signal screen does not normally flicker) and the screen goes black after a few seconds. If I wait a few more seconds, I hear a brief, somewhat noisy humming/buzzing sound. After the buzzing sound, I can now hear whatever is on the TV, but I still see no picture.

Then, after turning it off and back on again, the TV would turn on normally.

Unfortunately, I now have to repeat this process twice before the TV decides to come on. I'm afraid that this will continue to get longer and longer and that I will soon have to turn the computer off and on three times before I can watch television.

An interesting thing to note...this only happens when the TV has been off for a little while. After I get the TV to turn on normally, I could turn it off and on right away and experience no issues. It's almost like the TV has a problem "warming up."

I've also researched this a bit, but didn't come to anything conclusive. Although I did manage to come across a support group for Polaroid HDTV's with the same issue.

Unfortunately, the warranty is up on my TV.

I would really appreciate any sort of answer, even if it's just a guess.

Thanks guys.

2. racie

racie Thread Starter

Sorry for the bump, but the problem has gotten worse again. I now have to turn my TV on and off three times before the TV works.

3. racie

racie Thread Starter

Apologies for another bump, but I have another update if anyone happens to stumble in this thread.

The TV now does not work at all. Upon turning it on, the screen stays black and the backlight does not even attempt to come on. It stays frozen this way and none of the inputs work. Even the power button is unresponsive. The only way to turn it off is buy unplugging the thing.
    I know you guys don't really visit this section of the forum, but I still want to document what is happening.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!