1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

headers/footers, and wierd formatting

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JFresh, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a Word 2k3 document:

I'm trying to make changes to this document such as setting the margin to 2.5" from the top on one page and a 1/2" to 1" on all others.
    I make the changes, and everything looks ok until I hit the save button. Upon hitting the button the formatting reverts back to its original state (as if I didn't make any changes).

I've unchecked the 'update links' and the 'update fields' boxes under Tools -> Options -> Print tab but to no avail.

However one thing I think it may be related to is the headers and footers in the document. Just above the beginning of the text on the page (which is centered) there is a grayed out carraige return charcter (the backwards p looking thing). It's greyed out similar to the way field codes are displayed in grey. If I double click on it then the header toolbar appears and I am able to edit the contents of that header or footer. Also when I do double click on it, all of the text that I've typed turns grey. Finally, if I click the close button on the Header toolbar then the backwards p symbol disappears, and my document appears exactly as it should (with the revisions I made).

I apologize if this seems very confusing. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask and I'll try to clarify as best I can.

Thanks for all your help,

JFresh

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Might you have your document in Outlook?
    I have seen many people have a document in Outlook, they make edits and save them, but when they reopen the document they are surprised that none of their edits are there. The obvious reason is that their edits were done to the "temp" copy in the Outlook on-drive storage location, not really their one in the Outlook email.

Just a guess.

Otherwise, you could place a copy of your doc here in the Board, and we could look at it here, to see what you are seeing.

3. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

This is definately in Word 2003. Unfortunately I can't post the document. After next week I will be able to but not right now. I work for a law firm in their I.S. department. The document is something a lawyer is working on and so it's confidential for the time being. I and another colleague of mine have looked at this but don't know why it's doing this so now I'm going here =).

Thanks for your help =).

JFresh

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Couldn't you strip all the pertinent data out (just substitute all the valid text with gibberish) and then put the file here?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!