1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Headphone Extension Cable Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ramulux, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

So the cord on my headphones is too short to reach the back of my computer so I decided to buy an extension cable. I checked the specs on my headphones and the extension cable and it said that they both used 3.5 mm.

So I get the extension cable and it doesn't work, the headphone jack wont fully connect to the extension cable. I'm not really sure what the problem is so I was wondering if anyone could take a look at the two products and see if there is something I am missing or if I bought the wrong type of cord or something.

Headphones
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826626012

Ext. Cable
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-404...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318658732&sr=1-1

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Wrong cable. Look at the jacks. One is 4-conductor and the other is 3-conductor (standard stereo).

3. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

Is there any way you could give me a link to a correct type of cord? I cant really find one that I'm sure about. Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you see the difference when you look at them? From what I could see, one had 4 sections and the other 3.

Does it work when plugged in to the PC? Most PC's do not have that kind of jack, either, though iPod's use them.

What were those phones originally intended to work with?

If they were meant to work with an iPod, and if the phones work OK when plugged into the PC directly, then the extension you need would be an iPod phones extension.

But have you tried the phones on the PC and do they work for sure?

5. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

You are right that the headphones connector is broken into 4 sections while the connector on the extension cable has 3 sections. The headphones also do connect directly into the PC and work fine, its just that I have to pull my computer out and move it around or else the cord wont reach my ears.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Then I guess you need to 4-conductor extension.

7. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

Can you provide me with a link to a 4 conductor extension cord, I cant find any. Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice