1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Headphone jack to stereo speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neon grass, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neon grass

Neon grass Thread Starter

I want to get my MP3 player running through my CD player's speakers. Can anyone help?

2. rolandk10

rolandk10

Are you talking about a "boom box" type cd player? If so, your stereo needs to have some type of aux input. You can use the headphone jack of the mp3 player as an output but keep the volume low. Inputs are normally line level so they don't need a lot of power sent to them to amplify the music. Infact, sending too much of a signal into an input can damage a stereo. try to balance it so the volume you here from a cd and the mp3 player are the same. .1 watt is enough for the line level input.

3. Neon grass

Neon grass Thread Starter

Actually the speakers are connected to the stereo through small doubled up wires. Like a headhpone's. When I take them out of the stereo, I have two wires exposed out of the rubber coat. Would I just cut up some headphones and connect the wires, or is it more complicated?

4. rolandk10

rolandk10

I think I follow what you are doing. The problem is that the speakers will probably need a lot more power than your headphone jack puts out. You can get amplified speakers for computers that have batteries in them and they will already have a headphone type (2.5mm) jack on them.

But in theory, yes, you can put a 2.5mm stereo plug on your speaker and plug it into a headphone jack.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice