1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

headphone port faulty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kman1000, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

The headphone port on my Thinkpad z60m 2529 rcu produces "uneven" sound. When I plug in my computer speakers, depending on how I wiggle the input jack the sound changes. If I hold it in the right place then the sound is as it should be. Otherwise, the sound is lower and portions of the music I am listening to is inaudible. I am tested this out on a number of songs and, as an example, I can not hear the bass guitar portions of a lot of the songs unless I put the input jack for my speakers in a very specific position and continue to hold it like that.

How do I fix this?

I was googling this and I read some forum posts about others users recommending people like me who have this problem to purchase an external audio device and do not use the internal sound card. They said it will improve the audio too. If I am not able to fix this, should I follow this route?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That is generally the most common solution as it doesn't require a tear down of the laptop. It may also not be possible to repair the broken port on the laptop or may require a new port or audio header/board. What's probably happened is the either the plastic port is broken and the connect the jack makes is poor or the pins that connect the port to the motherboard have broken loose and aren't making good contact. Using a PC Card, XpressCard, or USB sound card is generally the super fast and 100% effective fix.

3. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

What would the alternative entail me doing? Is there a phrase I can google to get instructions on what the process is to fix the problem in the laptop? I'd like to access the level of difficulty to see how I'd like to deal with this issue. Not sure what to search for though.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should visually examine the connector from the outside using a flash light to see if you can spot anything wrong such as cracks or bent pins inside it.

Here's the service manual for the laptop: http://tim.id.au/laptops/lenovo/thinkpad z60m.pdf
    It should detail how to disassemble it.

Once you get at the motherboard, you'll likely need to completely remove it, you'll need to examine the connectors and see if you find the problem. If its loose pins to the motherboard you may be able to re-solder them but if the jack connector housing is cracked or the internal pins are loose or out of place you may have to pop them back in place if possible or replace the connector altogether.

Also, make sure you have backup of anything you need from the laptop in case anything goes wrong and it no longer works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice