1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Headphone problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ovie, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ovie

Ovie Thread Starter

When I plug my headphones into my computer into the green socket at the front, I get a really frustrating crackling noise, the noise is there when there is actually no sound being played. This didn't happen at first, but now it does, and I don't recall changing anything...can someone help out?

2. Kablooie

Kablooie

It sounds to me like your headphone cable has a broken plug! Try different headphones, or connect some speakers to the green socket... Does it still crackle?

3. guidzilla

guidzilla

It could also be on the motherboard itself, i had that problem on my last board. Try rotating the plug while it is connected, also try and clean out the connection on the board with forced air.

4. Ovie

Ovie Thread Starter

It is definitely not my headphones, because the same happens with all headphones that I've tried.

5. Ovie

Ovie Thread Starter

Any further ideas on this?

6. acameron

acameron

sounds like the jack is dirty / corroded or has a bad connection to the MB. You can try cleaning out the jack. Use a little bit of contact cleaner on a thin cloth and wrap it around something a little thinner than the headphone plug and clean out the port. Don't spray the cleaner directly into the port, just a little on a thin rag will do.

7. Ovie

Ovie Thread Starter

No luck :(

8. acameron

acameron

How is the sound from your regular speakers? Have you tried the headphones plugged into the jack on the back of the computer? Sounds like the jack went bad or has a bad connection to the MB. Is there a headphone out jack on your speakers? if so you can just use that instead of the front port......

9. Ovie

Ovie Thread Starter

Yep, I just did that this morning, headphones at the back, and speakers at the front, it works perfectly fine.........although it looks a bit silly, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist :p

But why is it that it doesn't work then?

10. acameron

acameron

Well, I am not sure, I would say the plug on your headphones is bad but you said that you have tried several pairs, all with the same results.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice