1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Headphones: Can only hear background music

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SmilingText, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmilingText

SmilingText Thread Starter

What I'm trying to do:

Fix my headphone sound/set-up on Windows 7. Can only hear background music on them on this specific PC.
    No voices on music videos.

Headphones work great on other devices such as my laptop, my phone, and other phones.

I thought "maybe Sony headphones aren't compatible with windows 7".
    But when I tried other headphones on this PC, I had the same issue.

I already uninstalled and re-installed updated sound drivers (AMD High Def audio, and Realtek).
    And this issue has continued.

I'm not even sure this is a defect, because when I plug in my *speakers* on my PC,
    they work perfectly.

When I plug in my headphones or speakers, they both show up as "speakers" in Playback Devices.
    I even tried messing with the "Speakers Properties" levels' balance (with the headphones), and it made no difference.

Thank you so so much for reading this. And if you guys need me to printscreen anything, I will comply.

2. SmilingText

SmilingText Thread Starter

UPDATE: I just found the weirdest solution. :cool: (Or at least one I could definitely work with meanwhile I figure this out)

There's a headphone jack on the *front* of my PC. And....when I plug in my speakers on there, the speakers work perfectly. B u t m y h e a d p h o n e s d o n ' t.

SO

I just tried connecting the headphones onto the green jack meant for the speakers that's in the *BACK* of my PC. ..............AND IT WORKED.
    what?

Guess I'll just have to turn my pc around backwards :ROFLMAO: Wish I tried it sooner

I uploaded a file!: This is what my PC says about the headphones.

Oh well, at least the headphones are working perfectly in the speaker plug! And the speakers are working perfectly in the headphone plug~

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!