1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Headphones plugged in but speaker still plays

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elbunjoe, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elbunjoe

elbunjoe Thread Starter

I have a HP dv6tse laptop with window 7 and it has two headphone jacks. When plugging my headphones into the first jack, sounds plays through the speaker and headphones. The second headphone jack works fine for when I plug in my headphones, the sound only comes out through the headphones like it should. I've tried updating the sound drivers but the problem still persist. Can anyone help please?

2. jamielogue

jamielogue

my compaq cq50 210us (laptop) does the same thing i am not sure what is wrong but i am pretty sure they are not conected right on the inside and inless u have experience with doing stuff within the mother board it is better to just use the other head phone jack

3. elbunjoe

elbunjoe Thread Starter

I was afraid it would be something internal. I hope someone, who had experienced something similar, knows how to fix it without having to go inside.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's unusual for a laptop to have two headphone jacks, are you sure one is not a Microphone or Line-in/Out jack? Whats the exact model of your laptop? There should be a sticker on the bottom of it with the full and complete model number such as DV6T-7000 CTO.

The Compaq CQ50-210us for example, and this is according to the HP specs, only has one Headphone jack and the other jack is Microphone jack. HP manual for that unit is here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01572022.pdf
    Page 10 has the audio jacks.

Now maybe the software can re-task the jack for additional audio out but as most audio software can now do, but that's not it's intended use by HP. It probably can't be fixed as it's probably not broken at all. A simple stereo splitter can be used to connected two pairs of headphones at the same time though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021055

5. elbunjoe

elbunjoe Thread Starter

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What's the full model number of the bottom of the laptop? The reason I ask is because according to the HP website there is no such laptop and all HP models have a two part model number such as DV6T-7200, please locate your laptop on the HP support site: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

7. elbunjoe

elbunjoe Thread Starter

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, go to Programs & Features in the Control Panel and uninstalled the IDT Audio drivers, they should be listed there. Uninstalling the drivers & softwsre is critical. Next go to the HP website and download these drivers: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5111985&sw_lang=

Run the installation and reboot as needed, test the headphone jacks and see if the speakers mute when plugged in.

9. elbunjoe

elbunjoe Thread Starter

I have uninstalled and reinstalled but the problem still persist.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you open the IDT Audio control panel, are there any options to mute the speakers?

11. elbunjoe

elbunjoe Thread Starter

um, i dont think there is a audio control panel.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Maybe someone with a IDT sound card can check to see if they have anything but check the System Tray or the Control Panel for any audio related software, most other manufacturer's provide a user interface to make additional changes.

13. Krash

Krash

Could I get some screenshots of the following?
    Right click on the volume control icon near the time and get to Recording devices. Get a shot of this.
    .. then double click on the device selected as default (this ideally should be microphone). After this go to the "Listen" tab and get a screenshot here.
    Please post these two screenies here. This might help us understand whats going on here.

14. elbunjoe

elbunjoe Thread Starter

I have included the two screenshots in the attachments

Attached Files:

15. Krash

Krash

Using a desktop which has no other mic input apart from the one through the jack limits my abilities to try anything here. I will get home in an hour and check this on my pc and see if I can offer some direction to fix this.
    However my understanding is this
    Jack 1/input is meant for mic and will mostly not have an option built in to cut off audio going to speakers. The reason the input also plays on the speakers/ear phones is for feedback to the speaker.
    Jack 2/headphones will typically have the option to cut off the sound to the speakers when something is plugged into it like in most home audio players.

I don't even think there is something wrong going on here unless I am missing something.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!