1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Headset mic process and Stereo Mix 'relay' each other

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dustinator2, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dustinator2

dustinator2 Thread Starter

I wasn't sure whether to put this under Other software or Windows 10, because I don't know if it's something with the operating system or something else. When I use my mic, it seems to pick up and repeat the sounds of the computer (but at a much quieter volume), and the Stereo Mix process does the exact same thing with my mic sounds. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the microphone physically picking up the sound, because it still picks up computer sound even when I use the inline switch on the headset cord to mute my microphone, so it's something to do with the actual computer. Using the same inline controller to mute the sound coming into my headset also doesn't change anything. I've checked everything in the Recording tab and none of the 'listen' boxes are checked. This problem has persisted after I used Windows' Reset function due to a different issue. Anyone have any idea what the issue is?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Stereo Mix combines the mic and audio output into a single stream. I believe the actual volume of each is controlled via the volume controls in the audio setup.

Other software can sometimes have similar features as well. So if you have other audio tools, editors, etc. installed, you may want to check them out. You could perform a Clean Boot and then test. That should rule out any other software.

3. dustinator2

I'm about to try a clean boot, will keep you posted. As for the Stereo mix thing, it's intended to combine the microphone plugged into the input jack with the system sounds?
    Edit: Clean Boot does not fix it. Microphone input is still relaying system sound (I muted the headset with the inline controller to make sure it wasn't picking up any physical sound)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes, it mixes the two audio paths together. So if you are on Skype or Team Speak, the other side can listen to your music or whatever you are doing. Or if you are recording game play, you can also capture your mic input as well.

You can simply disable Stereo Mix and see if the issue stops.

But an echo would typically be the result of an audio configuration issue. For example, many audio chipsets have the ability to alter the output audio with special effects (ie: Concert Hall, sewer, Stadium, etc.).

5. dustinator2

Stereo mix is already disabled and the issue still happens. (I'm using virtual cables in place of stereo mix so I can isolate audio during game streams). There's no audio effects in play, the issue is that the microphone process is relaying the system sound (the system sounds coming through the microphone process are high quality, so it's something with Windows). I've messed around with all the settings in Realtek to no avail. Another thing to note is that the issue still occurs even when I've muted the microphone through the inline controller, so it's not a problem with the headset itself. It can still pick up system sound but not my voice if I use the controller to mute the microphone. Obviously, the issue doesn't happen when I mute the microphone through Windows.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Uninstall virtual cables.

A mic will only pick up audio outside the PC (ie: your voice, audio from speakers, etc.). It can't pickup an output audio signal (a mic port is input only). The fact that the issue still occurs with the mic muted proves this fact.

It's not Windows. If anything, it's an audio configuration or a third part application (such as virtual cables, but there are others as well). I've seen audio software cause issues as well (ie: third party audio recording/processing software) as they often implement features such as "virtual cable".

7. dustinator2

Uninstalling virtual cables still doesn't fix anything. And I know it's not the actual microphone relaying the signal, but the microphone's process in the Recording tab. Since resetting my entire computer and wiping everything to factory settings doesn't fix it, I truly have no idea what will.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it's been restored back to factory default, then it's not an OS, driver, or software issue. I'd suspect an actual hardware fault.

Analog mic or USB?

9. dustinator2

(Correction: It was a standard reset, that removes third-party programs but keeps personal files and settings, etc.)
    It's an analog, plugged directly into the motherboard. I think I tried plugging it into the front panel before but it didn't fix anything.

10. dustinator2

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What and where does one find this "standard reset, that removes third-party programs"?

12. dustinator2

It's just the Windows 10 reset. It removes all non-windows programs but keeps your personal files, etc.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice